Can Hyper Backup backups be restored without software?

Currently reading
Can Hyper Backup backups be restored without software?

NAS
DS1520+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have started backing up my DS1520+ via Hyper Backup. As Backup Destination I use "Local Folder (single version)".

After backing up, when I browse the backed up files, they look like copies of the original files. This get me thinking: Could I restore the data without the Hyper Backup software? (I am asking because the documentation mentions that you need Hyper Backup to restore from the backup.)

Even if you used the multi-version task types to an external destination (i.e. not internal to your one-and-only NAS) then there are Mac/PC applications of Hyper Backup Explorer. So long as you can access or mount the HB vault location from the Mac/PC you should be able to retrieve your files, while still having a history of versions too.

My HB use is:
  1. A single-version task to backup user data: the stuff that may be required quickly.
  2. A multi-version task of the NAS (or most of it) that allows for retrieval and rebuild.
  3. A selected C2 backup of important stuff that we cannot replace: a few documents, but mostly it's photos.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.