Can hyper backup do incremental backups?

Currently reading
Can hyper backup do incremental backups?

NAS
DA-418play
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Can Hyper Backup do incremental backups? After my initial backup of my NAS to an external hard drive connected to the NAS via USB, will Hyper Backup only backup those files that have changed or new files created since the last backup? Or will it backup everything again? I am backing up 9 TB of info and surely don't want to have the NAS working for umpteen hours.

Thanks...

Ok thanks... Will Hyper backup do a mirror backup whereby whatever is on the external disc gets copies to the NAS?

If I add some files and remove some files, will the backup reflect that? Say I have 400 MB of data to back up. I come in later with 20 MB removed from my external drive. Will Hyper Backup remove the 20MB from the NAS, thus creating a backup size of 380MB?

Upvote 0
Ok... Is there anything I can use to accomplish a mirror to an external drive connected to the front USB port on a DS-418? I do not want to copy 8 TB all the time when I only add 400 or 500 MB to the NAS.

Upvote 0
Why, when I add 40 MB of data to my NAS, does Hyper Backup take 16 hours to backup? The initial backup was 8 TB.

Upvote 0
Why, when I add 40 MB of data to my NAS, does Hyper Backup take 16 hours to backup? The initial backup was 8 TB.
HB is anything but efficient. Perhaps each successive backup triggers a rotation activity where the database is modified and rebuilt. Or maybe you are using "compression" (I do not recommend this). FWIW, I use Duplicacy for most backups now. Because I'm frugal, I use the CLI version (free), however the GUI is quite inexpensive (I began there).

Upvote 0
Thanks... I'm a novice with this stuff, so questions abound.... I am not sure the best way to proceed. will investigate further.

Upvote 0
o can I partition my external Hard drive. The NAS alllows that in Hyper Backup?
I haven't done it quite like that with a USB drive, however it should work, as I'm doing something similar...

I have a dual partitioned (ext4 formatted) USB drive attached to my NAS. One partition received HB backups from the NAS. The other partition receives backups (while connected to the NAS) from a Linux server. In File Station this looks like two shared folders.
UyBQOGy.png

Same drive, 2 partitions...

That all said, you should not need multiple partitions, but just multiple directories. If I set up a local folder backup, pointing to a USB, I see this
3bKf7UD.png

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.