Can I format my NAS to create an iMovie library?

Currently reading
Can I format my NAS to create an iMovie library?

NAS
DS218play
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
This question is out of left field but I got a great response to a question last time last time so here goes....I have a Sony camcorder and i want to be able to download and backup videos to my NAS (DS218play). The Sony software (32 bit) no longer works with my Mac Catalina (only like 64 bit software) so I have downloaded with the inbuilt iMovie to a new library on my MacBook Pro. However when I try to create a new library on the NAS, iMovie will not let me do so as the format is not APFS (and Apple does not recommend storing a library on a network device .....don't know why!).

I am not tech savvy enough to know if I can partition the drive and have part as APFS, or whether there is some other fix. Or is there any other program that would allow me to download the video files from the camera directly to the NAS?

Thanks for any help.

Rick

In your case you can use this method. Keep in mind this is not supported and use it at your own risk! (still saying this I use this method for my Apple Photos library and I have it stored on my NAS for years with 0 problem).

What you wanna do on your Mac is make a HFS+ sparse bundle image that you will then copy over to your NAS and mount it on your Mac. After that you can use that volume image as a target for your iMovie library.

01. Open up Disk utility and go to File > New image > Blank image and configure it like its shown. Keep in mind that the Format and Image Format drop down menus are as they are in the picture. Reason why thy are not APFS is that Mojave and Catallina have problems with mounting APFS image from a NAS using that format. HFS+ (MacOS Extended will work just fine)
Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 10.23.56.png

02. Make sure that the size is larget enough to accommodate all your needs now and in the future. Don't worry, the image will grow as needed so it will not be initially created to the size you have set up in the Size field.

03. Save the image and then on your Mac open up a shared folder on your NAS where you want this image to be stored (where the image will "live").

04. Copy over the image to that destination

05. Once you have copied it over, mount it on your Mac.

06. Create/move your iMovie library from your Mac SSD to that mounted volume.

That is it. Now keep in mind that using your iMovie lib this way will mean that you will always have to mount the volume before you start working with it, but all in all, it will work just fine.

Make sure that you have a backup of that image from your NAS side via Hyper Backup or some other method. If that image gets corrupted you will lose all your data!

I hope it helps.

In your case you can use this method. Keep in mind this is not supported and use it at your own risk! (still saying this I use this method for my Apple Photos library and I have it stored on my NAS for years with 0 problem).

What you wanna do on your Mac is make a HFS+ sparse bundle image that you will then copy over to your NAS and mount it on your Mac. After that you can use that volume image as a target for your iMovie library.

01. Open up Disk utility and go to File > New image > Blank image and configure it like its shown. Keep in mind that the Format and Image Format drop down menus are as they are in the picture. Reason why thy are not APFS is that Mojave and Catallina have problems with mounting APFS image from a NAS using that format. HFS+ (MacOS Extended will work just fine)
View attachment 1430
02. Make sure that the size is larget enough to accommodate all your needs now and in the future. Don't worry, the image will grow as needed so it will not be initially created to the size you have set up in the Size field.

03. Save the image and then on your Mac open up a shared folder on your NAS where you want this image to be stored (where the image will "live").

04. Copy over the image to that destination

05. Once you have copied it over, mount it on your Mac.

06. Create/move your iMovie library from your Mac SSD to that mounted volume.

That is it. Now keep in mind that using your iMovie lib this way will mean that you will always have to mount the volume before you start working with it, but all in all, it will work just fine.

Make sure that you have a backup of that image from your NAS side via Hyper Backup or some other method. If that image gets corrupted you will lose all your data!

I hope it helps.

Apple just want you to continue buying their stuff. There is zero reason not to store media libraries on a NAS, that is what it is made for!!! (amongst other things...)

Thanks! i will try Rusty'r suggestion. BTW do you know of any other third party programs that would simply allow me to download the video files from the Sony camcorder directly to my computer (or NAS)? Rick

well, in theory you should be able to connect your camcorder to your MAC with some sort of cable and then access it from the MAC to copy off the files to wherever you want to put them? I am assuming it has flash storage, obviously.....

well, in theory you should be able to connect your camcorder to your MAC with some sort of cable and then access it from the MAC to copy off the files to wherever you want to put them? I am assuming it has flash storage, obviously.....
Hi. Sometimes the most obvious and simplest solution is overlooked - I was looking for a program that would do it but I found I did have the right combination of cables and 'Copy' followed by 'Paste' worked! Thanks!

The Sony website covers that. Google (and his many cousins) is your friend.
Vvt1iKX.png
Hi Telos. Thanks but unfortunately the problem is that the PlayMemories program now only works for Windows computers and not Mac as the program is for 32 bit systems and the MacOS Catalina is 64 bit. But you will see from the thread that I have a solution. But thanks very much for your suggestion anyhow.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.