Can I Repair/Rebuild Without Installing a new HDD? (SHR-2 with 2/4 Drives Faulty)

Currently reading
Can I Repair/Rebuild Without Installing a new HDD? (SHR-2 with 2/4 Drives Faulty)

Hi, I got a notice that 2 of 4 HDDs are "Degraded." DSM tells me I need to add another HDD in order for it to repair. RAID type is SHR-2. Here are some screenshots that I hope will help. I ran a test of the 2 faulty HDDs and they didn't show any errors. I'm still pretty new to this, but I thought SHR-2 had fault protection for failure of 2 Drives...?

I don't know what type of errors they are, or what caused it. The NAS is on a UPS, and I have not seen any errors related to the power supply (from the NAS, nor from the UPS feeding the NAS.)

Thanks!

Synology Error W 3-20-2024 web.jpgSynology Error 2 W 3-20-2024 web.jpgSynology Error 3 W 3-20-2024 web.jpg

SHR2 in this case means that your data is completely usable as the two remaining drives are fine. The note might be a bit misleading, but you will in the end need to replace both drives to bring your SHR2 to a normal state. Degrade mode, means no current redundancy and your array is in danger if another drive fails.

Replace both drives asap, ensure a valid backup, and repair the array once you replace drives 2 and 3.

Upvote 0
SHR2 working as intended. You are still up and in the OS to repair. I have had luck in this situation with removing the drive from the volume and letting it rebuild ( takes like a day ... ) The drive showed healthy after. Then repeating with the second drive, and after 2 days I had a healthy volume that did not give me any errors. By the time I got around to having Syno support help me they said perhaps the data was corrupted and the disk member errored out. Did not mean the physical drive was bad.

I learned that drive does not equal disk

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back