Can I set up my DS218+ to be used as a hub server for music lessons and rehearsals?

Currently reading
Can I set up my DS218+ to be used as a hub server for music lessons and rehearsals?

Hi, I am using jacktrip to do music rehearsals and lessons in real time. I need to set up a more local hub server here in New York in order to cut down on the latency. Does anyone know if this can be done with my present NAS or what I might need to do to make this happen? Thanks

Haven’t heard of Jacktrip but googling it gets to a site. It says it’s a Mac or Linux application.

There may be a Docker image for it? Or can you run a virtualised Linux in VMM?

For VMM you’ll have to have built the NAS storage using btrfs file system (it’s the default for new builds since DSM 6-point-something was released).

Thanks for your reply. I can see this is way above my pay grade. Jacktrip is an amazing freeware but stup for folks like myself is difficult. I must now learn what a btrfs file system is, a Docker image and VMM. Do you know of an "Idiot's Guide" for setting up a network? HA HA...That would be me. I appreciate your looking into it though. Much appreciated.

The btrfs file system bit is fairly easy. Open Storage Manager and see what it says.

Here's my DS218+ you'll see it says "File system ext4": ext4 isn't supported by Virtual Machine Manager but btrfs is.
1604253269448.png

My other NAS is using btrfs and I can (and do) run VMM on it.
1604253396020.png

If you can't get the below Docker to work then you may be able to run VMM package and install a Linux virtual machine and run Jacktrip in it.

Docker doesn't care about ext4/btrfs and your DS218+ can install and run the Docker package. There is one Jacktrip container image you might try.
1604253610396.png

How it works is not something I can help with.

Thanks for this. I am thinking of setting up a second Synology NAS just for this purpose. I am saving your suggestions for later. Thank you.

Hi, I am using jacktrip to do music rehearsals and lessons in real time. I need to set up a more local hub server here in New York in order to cut down on the latency. Does anyone know if this can be done with my present NAS or what I might need to do to make this happen? Thanks
Check out the NYC-located private jacktrip servers at - musicianstogetherapart.com

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.