Can I tell Moments to pull media from any shared folder?

Currently reading
Can I tell Moments to pull media from any shared folder?

Last edited:
Hello,

As I patiently wait for the 2020+ series Synology NAS drives to arrive, I am trying to learn all that I can so that I am prepared when it comes time to configure.

The main goal of my NAS will be to store many pictures. While this is not my only goal, it's what is driving the purchase.

I have read some contradicting information across the Internet, and am looking for an answer on how Synology handles multimedia management. I am looking to create a shared folder named "Something". In this folder, I will then create a folder structure with folders such as "pictures", "Videos", "Storage", etc.

My question is, am I able to install Synology Moments and then tell moments to pull the pictures from either the parent shared drive "Something", or better yet, point Moments directly at the child directory "pictures"? Am I able to select multiple drives / shared drives?

I read that Moments only searches a folder in a location under a home directory or moments install location, is this true? What I am getting at is if I can create the file system of my choosing, and point Moments at it. (I am targeting Moments as that is what I am anxious to use the most).

I know "the other guys" have an app in control panel called "Multimedia Management" which allows me to tell the OS where to look for pics, vids, and other sorts media files. Applications then use that information when it comes to searching for media. Does Synology have anything like this?

It also looks like video station allows me to select specific folders on the NAS to pull in to the app, so I would "assume" moments would do the same.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Upcoming DSM 7 is merging Photo Station and Moments.

DSM presents disk storage to users as a set of default and admin created Shared Folders. Under the hood these are just subfolders of the file system’s /volume1 (2, 3, etc).

Both the current photo packages use specific root locations:
  • Shared photo albums in both PS and M: Within Shared Folder /photo
  • Personal photo albums
    • PS: /home/photo
    • M: /home/Drive/Moments
These are the only places that these packages will support.

For Video Station movies and TV then that’s different and the default /video location is only a suggestion (there’s no personal video library).

However, Audio Station is a hybrid shared library can where you specify (default in /music) but for personal libraries it’s only /home/music. You just have to add shared locations to the media indexing service.

You could look at Plex which can access all these media types from wherever you like.

question is - what is your expectation from “store many pictures”?
When you are a photographer, you don’t need Moments. It’s pointless. Photo station is more useful and faster for a remote connection to your NAS photo sources. For LAN operation is better to use Catalogue from your Editing SW (same NAS Shared Folder source).

When you are smart phone shooter, you can use Moments instead Photo station. You will get sync of your phone library to your NAS (more features).
As @fredbert wrote, we will see what “miracle” will bring merge of Moments and Photo station. But it will be next year.

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

What I meant by "store pictures" was pretty much, created a shared drive and copy the files from a computer over Ethernet to the NAS.

Sounds like I will just need to ensure the files go to the correct directories in order for the apps to locate them, rather than creating my own file structure and telling the app where to find the media.

Thanks again for the detailed info above, it helps very much! Cheers!

I am disappointed with having to input photos into a specific folder. I have already uploaded all my 218,000 photos into the Photo folder created by Synology. But when I open Moment, its wants me to upload photos. That's great for people don't shoot many photos. I did 'upload' two photos. And it did not let me see them until they were 'converted'. Yet another reason not to use this program. I don't want my photos converted. It will probably change their resolution and or make them useless for anything else. I will not be using PS or M. Thanks for the thread.

I am disappointed with having to input photos into a specific folder. I have already uploaded all my 218,000 photos into the Photo folder created by Synology. But when I open Moment, its wants me to upload photos. That's great for people don't shoot many photos. I did 'upload' two photos. And it did not let me see them until they were 'converted'. Yet another reason not to use this program. I don't want my photos converted. It will probably change their resolution and or make them useless for anything else. I will not be using PS or M. Thanks for the thread.
Might wait for the upcoming Photos app (Photo Station and Moments hybrid) in the new DSM7 version (sometime in 2021).

Syno Moments is useless for photographers, reason why I don’t use it for me.
Only my son use it.
It just product for photo-eaters by smartphones.
PS: you don’t need be worried for original files degradations in Moments.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.