can I use drives listed as compatible on 1 NAS but not another?

Currently reading
can I use drives listed as compatible on 1 NAS but not another?

NAS
DS218
Operating system
  1. Windows
I realised that the HC550 is listed as compatible on the DS1618+ and not DS1621+ and synology says they've yet to test that drive. So I just want to know if it's ok to use it on the DS1621+?

there is just one vendor of SOHO NASes, which created a panic about compatibility with 21years well known worldwide standard of Serial ATA and 13 years known last SATA III revision.

All other vendors have no problem with that. Of course, because I can't imagine the SATA drive that won't be able to communicate with the SATA controller (even backward = SATA I HDD with SATA III controller).
Which disk drive will be useful and how powerful and suitable for your operating model is another matter for a consideration.

For example - Any SATA I drive is fully usable for video viewing of the 4k HDR10 + content. Similarly for home photos.
But as far as I know, no one can guarantee that you will achieve accurate performance using a specific disk drive = disk drive vendor or NAS vendor. Neither someone from Synology.

So I just want to know if it's ok to use it on the DS1621+?
As @Telos said the HDD compatibility list is a bit of a mystery, but best to stick to it, as Syno will not offer support if you will need one and you have "unsupported" drives in your NAS.

As @Telos said the HDD compatibility list is a bit of a mystery, but best to stick to it, as Syno will not offer support if you will need one and you have "unsupported" drives in your NAS.
it's just weird that the same drive is listed as compatible on the older variant but not on the newer one

it's just weird that the same drive is listed as compatible on the older variant but not on the newer one
Just the same... "compatible" drives mysteriously drop out of the compatibility list. And Synology has tweaked the list to include firmware revision... (how often when buying drives do you have a clue about the firmware version)... With that caveat, it is near impossible to match the compatibility list, as new drive models and firmware aren't tested until after those units are no longer purchasable. Synology is playing a scammer's game.

The reason for this is that any model made after January 2021 (in certain classes) will be in the same situation. Especially for the mid to high-end models.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.