Can I use Yubikey as a 2FA to secure my Synology NAS account?

Currently reading
Can I use Yubikey as a 2FA to secure my Synology NAS account?

Last edited:
Hi All,

I am trying to determine if a Yubikey could be used as an alternative the app for 2FA.
Based on the Synology website:
Which USB security keys does Secure SignIn Service support?
I do see that 2 Yubico models are supported but I am unable to find exactly which 2 models they refer to.
Could anyone share their experiences with it?
From a quick Google search I've deducted that they are the following keys:

Y-237 is YubiKey 5 NFC
&
Y-255 is YubiKey Security Key NFC

Hope this helps.

I'm still trying to justify using this nifty device.

Same here, I look at it and check it out every once in a while. But my issues with it are a conveince factor, I don't want to have to carry an extra item around with me. Or when lounging/laying around have to get up and go get it if I need to make an unexpected login to something.

I have heard some new things possibly coming, such as using your mobile phone as a hardware security device. You have to figure your mobile phone (at least for me) is something that I always carry and will have on me. So it is this way forward that I am waiting for.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.