Can not expand storage size

NAS
DS718+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi All,

I am new user to synology, I have ds718+ installed with 2 hard disk ( 6tb and 8tb ) when i expand it with SHR it show only 5tb total storage. How i can expand the size.
Screenshot_2020-06-03 moayyad-server - Synology DiskStation.png
Screenshot_2020-06-03 moayyad-server - Synology DiskStation(1).png
Screenshot_2020-06-03 moayyad-server - Synology DiskStation(2).png
Screenshot_2020-06-03 moayyad-server - Synology DiskStation(3).png
Screenshot_2020-06-03 moayyad-server - Synology DiskStation.png
Screenshot_2020-06-03 moayyad-server - Synology DiskStation(1).png
Screenshot_2020-06-03 moayyad-server - Synology DiskStation(2).png
Screenshot_2020-06-03 moayyad-server - Synology DiskStation(3).png

You cant. That is the size you will have with mixed drives. This is how your setup looks like (unformated ofc)

1591183827463.png

This is where you need to look.

You have a SHR array using the two disks: in this configuration what you have is similar to RAID 1. The available space will be mirrored between the two disks and so the smaller disk size will dictate the available disk space. In your case 5.46TB.

The next thing to know is that advertised disk space (on boxes and other marketing guff) uses gigabytes and terrabytes using base 10. So 1TB = 1,000,000,000,000 bytes

But computers operate on a binary level and [since before marketing types thought it would be good to make their product seem bigger than their competion] your NAS and all other operating systems will report disk sizes in base 2. So to them 1TB = 1,099,511,627,776 bytes.

Now take your 6,000,000,000,000 byte disk and work out what the NAS thinks it is... 5.46TB

thanks to International Electrotechnical Commission we have stup.d new classification of prefixes which replaced all times known binary units to SI units.
An example:

1 Megabytes known as 2^20 bytes = 1 048 576 bytes
is in the new terminology needs to be defined as 1 Mebibyte = 1MiB

and follow the crazy new classification 1MB has only 1 000 000 bytes.
Great mess.

Enjoy!

PS:
Many operating systems compute file size in mebibytes, but report the number as MB (megabytes).

Why they just couldn’t build computer storage with 10 states of memory per ‘bit’*.

With people in marketing and sales being amongst the big brains and electronics geniuses I’ve worked with I cant see how they can’t get this sorted by lunchtime.... then big sales bonuses all round!

Or maybe they’re mostly too dim and lazy to retain one piece of technical knowledge and prefer to confuse their customers instead?

*bit being binary so this could be a decimal dit (d). And so a dyte (D), megadyte ((MD), etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.