Can synology really solve my problems?

Currently reading
Can synology really solve my problems?

all the IronWolf drives from May 2020 have CMR
there is just known 10TB IronWolf performance issue in Syno NASes with enabled write cache feature
otherwise IronWolf is good starter level, but when you expect more performance or lifespan - you need purchase higher models

all the IronWolf drives from May 2020 have CMR
there is just known 10TB IronWolf performance issue in Syno NASes with enabled write cache feature
otherwise IronWolf is good starter level, but when you expect more performance or lifespan - you need purchase higher models
I hear you. I cut my server teeth on IBM SAN drives about 15 years ago. This is for my house, and the idea of spending piles of money on 'storage' is something new. Funny... I remember we had that IBM setup RAID5 (first setting i learned to use, don't ask why they had someone who didn't know what they were doing running three giant server racks) and our websites all went down. I asked my colleague who was supposed to be checking on the physical server if he'd seen anything weird... he said no. I went to check the physical server (i had no idea how to do that virtually) and three drives were clearly RED... and dead. It seems the drive lights were green 'good' and red 'bad' and he was colour blind. red/green colour blind.

I just lost my PCs drives AND my Synology drives, both cleaned out, presumably due to some kind of AC power corruption. I'm a newby here but I'm startled to see that no-one's recommended Battery Backup for your installation.

Colin

I just lost my PCs drives AND my Synology drives, both cleaned out, presumably due to some kind of AC power corruption. I'm a newby here but I'm startled to see that no-one's recommended Battery Backup for your installation.

Colin
That... is an excellent point. I will go purchase one today. Not much sense having a backup and not protecting it. I've been doing some research since i read your post this morning, and my only concern is to make sure i can turn the beeping off. The beeping is not going to be popular.

my only concern is to make sure i can turn the beeping off. The beeping is not going to be popular.
Depending on the UPS you may or may not get Mac software to configure it. I have APC UPS and the choice is to get the APC Powerchute Personal software for PC and co-opt a PC to configure the alerting setting (retained in the UPS afterwards) or setup apcupsd on the Mac or virtual machine on the Mac. I've a work PC laptop so can use it but have also a Linux VM in VirtualBox that runs apcupsd when I need it.

I prefer to keep the Mac's UPS support uncontested, hence using apcupsd in a VM rather than in Mac's system.

That... is an excellent point. I will go purchase one today. Not much sense having a backup and not protecting it. I've been doing some research since i read your post this morning, and my only concern is to make sure i can turn the beeping off. The beeping is not going to be popular.

for the really important files one should have at least one backup offsite,
some people do it on the cloud,
other like me have backups on usb HDDs that keep elsewhere

as my name states, I'm a complete newbie at all of this, and a lot of guys in this thread have spent a lot of time getting my gear and software settings squared away.

The only thing I'll say is that I personally don't care for Moments right now. It might be a funky setting that I have missed somewhere, but when I imported my pics into Moments, it created separate folders for every batch of pics that had a different date-stamp. So I have a folder for pics on 18-12-5, 18-12-6, 18-12-7, etc. I suppose it is a nice way of organizing the pics, but it is a complete pain in the rear to navigate to the folder if you are wanting to copy out specific pics to either edit, group into different folders, or post to FB or something like that. I'd much rather that the pics were grouped by Import Date instead of by Created Date.

The Moments software does display all the photos in one big gallery, and you can select and download pics straight from that gallery to your computer if you want. However, if you are big on posting pics to FB or Twitter or whatever, there isn't any way of posting pics directly from the Moments gallery to social media that I'm aware of, which is kind of a pain if you are into that. My wife doesn't like Moments and how it sorts pics because she can't upload photos directly to shutterfly to create her scrapbooks and print photos.

Otherwise, I really like having my DS918+, and am looking to expand in the future.

1598144204733.png

I use a proper DAM program for organizing my photos. I use Daminion, it free for catalogues up to 15.000 photos.
The photos can be on the NAS even if the database is on the PC.

On my NAS, I use Photo Sation, mainly for the ability for every member of my family to can browse the albums from any device and without having the fear that anyone will accidentally make changes to the albums (read only permissions to them).

The Moments software does display all the photos in one big gallery, and you can select and download pics straight from that gallery to your computer if you want. However, if you are big on posting pics to FB or Twitter or whatever, there isn't any way of posting pics directly from the Moments gallery to social media that I'm aware of, which is kind of a pain if you are into that. My wife doesn't like Moments and how it sorts pics because she can't upload photos directly to shutterfly to create her scrapbooks and print photos.

Otherwise, I really like having my DS918+, and am looking to expand in the future.
I've decided to use photo Station while i wait for the new photo solution to come out with DSM7. Mostly i'm just going to be storing them in folder, expecting that I'll have to do it all again next year. I tried moments, and the video app etc...

Is there a '10 apps you should install' post around anywhere? I'd really like to get the domain issues sorted out, for instance. I've been pressing random buttons for a couple of days and am starting to think that I might want to take a more cautious approach.

10 apps you should install ?

depends on your needs and wills

for me the absolutely "should install" apps are:

- Snapshot Replication : so you can have benefit from all the advantages BTRFS offers
- HyperBckup : Backups of the NAS to external HDDs or another server or the cloud

and propably
Synology Drive and/or Active Backup for Business : to take care of backups of your computers or servers,
but you can achieve this with other programs (i.e. I use Synology Drive to backup my Fedora documents, but use SyncBack SE for this on my Windows 10 installation)

Beyond these I use some apps like Photo Station, Calendar etc but these maybe are useless for you or other.

Do anyone has a suggestion for a really "must have" app beyond these that are included in the base DSM?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.