Currently reading
Info Can the DS920+ NAS Transcode ?

NAS
DS214play
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I currently own a DS914 play and am looking at upgrading this to a more up to date hardware to with a view to undertake UHD transcoding. My initial research suggests that the DS 920+ would be a suitable candidate and could fulfil this purpose. However on cross checking the Synology NAS compatability tables as well as contacting Synology support suggests this is not possible. I'm a little confussed as I see the previous Synology NAS i.e. DS 918+ as being compatable. Surely the DS920+ has more powerful hardware compared to the DS91+ ?

Can someone clear this up once and for all, can I use the DS920+ to transcode ? If not what should I go for as an alternative ?

Many thanks ..

I currently own a DS914 play and am looking at upgrading this to a more up to date hardware to with a view to undertake UHD transcoding. My initial research suggests that the DS 920+ would be a suitable candidate and could fulfil this purpose. However on cross checking the Synology NAS compatability tables as well as contacting Synology support suggests this is not possible. I'm a little confussed as I see the previous Synology NAS i.e. DS 918+ as being compatable. Surely the DS920+ has more powerful hardware compared to the DS91+ ?

Can someone clear this up once and for all, can I use the DS920+ to transcode ? If not what should I go for as an alternative ?

Many thanks ..
It can. Look on the forum here, there are several topics on the matter of 920 and plex for example. You will see 1st hand how it performs.

Hi Rusty,

Thanks for your reply and I tend to agree you. However this is my question to Synology and the reply I received from Synology ..

To whom it may concern,

Thanks for the information. Just to make this little further clear I'm contenplating replacing my exisitng NAS with a NAS that I can transcode 4K files. I currently have a DS214play and I was thinking about purchasing a DS920+ as a replacement, which I had assumed would be capable of undertaking this operation. However looking at the link you sent through I don't see any references to the DS920+ showing in the lists. Given that the DS920+ is an more up to date model compared to the DS918+ which is shown as cabable of 4K transcoding , can you therefore clarify wither the DS920+ is capable of undertaking 4K tramscoding please ?

Thank you for contacting Synology.
I can confirm that, as the 20-series of units are not on the list, they do not support transcoding.
As such, you would need to convert the files into a format that your device you are streaming to supports.
Should you have any further queries related to a specific model or your usage, please help describe and provide as much information as possible in response to this message and we'll happily provide you with further assistance.
Best regards,
Synology

Why are Synology saying this ?

Hey,
For 4K transcoding you'd need a fairly recent, desktop class Nvidia GPU in a PC or a CPU with a Passmark V9 score over 14,000 (compared to around 3,000 in the 920+. So that's a no go.

However, there are some combinations of client hardware and software that can direct play basically anything, without any effort from the NAS itself.

An Nvidia Shield TV, running KODI, running the Plex addon is one of those which I can personally attest works wonders. Same thing on Xbox One and something else on Apple TV4k.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.