Can this be accomplished?

Currently reading
Can this be accomplished?

Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Currently there are a series of shared encrypted folders on Synology.
Control Panel > Shared Folder > [selected folder.] Mounting the shared encrypted folder requires [select folder] > Encryption > Mount > [enter credentials].

Overall this has been working well, however:

1) Quiet a PIA to mount from a mobile device…requires a few log ins, using a desktop browser or emulation to navigate to function. The MOUNT option appears not available from DS Finder for example.

2) This arrangement comes at a cost to the process that I would like to eliminate. The above process requires having a’ staging area’ for new content. If adding files from a remote device I essentially need to store the files in a shared folder. Then, when I am on a desktop/laptop, go through and file that content on the target synology folder. While this system works well it is double the work and double the time

In theory I should be able to save content from an ios device directly to the desired location on the synology encrypted shared folder…using AppleFiles, Synology Drive - and game would be WebDav.

The above process was as close as I could get.., been using this process for about a year now. Time to prune out that staging area and save directly to the synology shared folder.

GOAL

1) East mount an encrypted folder from DS Finder on an iOS device (auto un-encrypt & mount not desired.)

2) Use Apple aiOS Files app (or other third party tools) to manage content on said drive. Find Synology app itself a bit lacking, however if no other option existed I would try that.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say it's 'Quiet (sic) a PIA to mount from a mobile device', how often are you having to do this?

The usual pattern for encrypted shares is to mount them after the NAS has booted (I'm assuming auto mount is off as you stated), and then leave them mounted. Once mounted, they behave as regular shares that you just read and write to via SMB/NFS using your OS's file browser etc. So the mounting part is only done very occasionally when the NAS is first booted.

Or am I missing some part of your process here? Messing about with 'staging areas' etc seem like a real faff and I'm not sure what it accomplishes, or why it's necesary?

Everything summarized is correct. How often, on the occasional reboot, or just updated DS which locked the shares again.

Staging area I want to get away from. Reason for the staging area (cargo hold if you will) is because I was not finding a way to access the share drive from iOS devices directly through iOS files app, 3rd party WebDAVs etc.

For example want to move a new photo to the synology encrypted share folder - the shared folder isn’t recognized anywhere except for the desktop.
Shared teams folders are recognized yet lose the encryption.

——
HA! Just updated to Ventura and no longer connecting to the share.. Connection failed.. so now this is the new priority.
-- post merged: --

Apparently never got the actual reply button - apologize for the delay.

Everything summarized is correct. How often, on the occasional reboot, or just updated DS which locked the shares again.
Ok - so, you have to unlock the shares infrequently - after a DS update or a reboot. If you dont want to use automount of encrypted shares (I do understand why you wouldn't) then there's no way round this. You simply have to mount the shares by supplying the eCrypt password.

It is possible to do this via the CLI rather than via the GUI, eg when you're SSH'd into the Synology. But at the end of the day you still need to connect to the NAS and mount the shares.

Staging area I want to get away from. Reason for the staging area (cargo hold if you will) is because I was not finding a way to access the share drive from iOS devices directly through iOS files app, 3rd party WebDAVs etc.

For example want to move a new photo to the synology encrypted share folder - the shared folder isn’t recognized anywhere except for the desktop.
Shared teams folders are recognized yet lose the encryption.
I'm not familiar with accessing Syno shares via iOS apps, but if you can access the 'staging area' share through your iOS device, then you can access a mounted, encrypted share in the same way. Once an encrypted share is mounted (eg at bootup), it behaves just like a non-encrypted share in terms of connecting to it.

Again, if i'm missing some aspect of your process here, please let me know. I'm still struggling to see what issue you're having here. Are you getting a permissions error?
——
HA! Just updated to Ventura and no longer connecting to the share.. Connection failed.. so now this is the new priority.
-- post merged: --

Apparently never got the actual reply button - apologize for the delay.

Reply candied. Apologize if this is a repeat.

Preference not to auto Mount would be primarily secure. If physical access were gained, wouldn’t want the information auto mounted on a power circle

Do not mind manually entering a password…It is more that mounting an encrypted share is not supported in the synology iOS app.. inexpertly missing. So on those time the shares need to be mounted, it is a pia for an iOS device.

Result Sync handles the staging area, a file sharing system completely different than the standard share. Works really well mind you, however trying to bypass this arduous step.

Issue: if I were to pick a really simple small example to illustrate, I need the ability to move a photo from the ios photo album to the encrypted share easily. No can do. Photo gets saved to dedicated result Sync location…Z files dung and then when back at the desktop i will locate the folder and move it to its desired location on the encrypted share.

I can get share to appear in th synology Teams share area on the iOS synology Drive app, however not mounted encrypted shares.

Preference not to auto Mount would be primarily secure. If physical access were gained, wouldn’t want the information auto mounted on a power circle
I agree.
Do not mind manually entering a password…It is more that mounting an encrypted share is not supported in the synology iOS app.. inexpertly missing. So on those time the shares need to be mounted, it is a pia for an iOS device.

Result Sync handles the staging area, a file sharing system completely different than the standard share. Works really well mind you, however trying to bypass this arduous step.
Sorry, not sure what this means
I can get share to appear in th synology Teams share area on the iOS synology Drive app, however not mounted encrypted shares.
I don't use the Synology Drive app so maybe someone else can chime in with this. However, with the iOS files app:

1. On DSM, unencrypt any encrypted shares you want to access by entering the password. Leave these shares mounted.
2. In iOS Files app, click 'Browse' at bottom of screen
3. Tap the '...' more icon at top of screen
4. Tap 'Connect To Server'
5. Enter the IP address or the Hostname of your Synology NAS
6. Click 'Connect'
7. Enter a username & password from your Synology that has permission to access the share(s) you want to access
8. Click 'Next'

You should now be connected to the Synology and should be able to view the all the shares on the NAS, including the encrypted ones that you unlocked in step 1. Leave the encrypted shares unlocked on the NAS, and the connection you have created above will be saved in Files app for future use.

Not sure if this solves your problem, but tbh it sounds like your problem is not related to encrypted shares so much as how to use specific iOS apps (Drive, Files etc). The instructions above should give you the GOAL # 2 in your 1st post above.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back