can use help with a dual router setup

Currently reading
can use help with a dual router setup

Accurate port forwarding on the router did the trick!
Nice one!

how do i enable local network access (ie. 192.168.x.x) on the router and nas? Static route on both perhaps?
I have to say I don't understand the question here. Your router and nas are 100% in a specific private network range already, the questions is, is that range working out for you and your needs. So ask your question again with a bit more details/example.

Nice one!

I have to say I don't understand the question here. Your router and nas are 100% in a specific private network range already, the questions is, is that range working out for you and your needs. So ask your question again with a bit more details/example.

Really appreciate the help. Update: I switched to a new router, set everything up I think ...disabled UPnP and established port forwarding 80, 443, and also my NAS custom HTTPS port. Then activated the synology.me ddns. Problem is the ddns keeps halting at the router login page. I think I've set everything up on the router, even confirmed the mac address as OK, but clearly something is off.

that is correct. it's not an error page per se. when i key in the ddns address, i get an image of the router's login page, not the dsm login page.

that is correct. it's not an error page per se. when i key in the ddns address, i get an image of the router's login page, not the dsm login page.
Then I would say you have a routing and/or port forward problem. Are you sure that you are port forwarding to your NAS ip and not your router ip?

the ddns works perfectly on 4G! Thanks!
Any ideas for local network access? i haven't setup any static routes, etc.
Aha, then it's a NAT loopback problem. Guessing you are trying to use your FQDN (DDNS) name inside your LAN and your router doesn't know how to handle that and drops you on your router main page. There is a way to make a local DNS zone that will route those kinds of requests, but if you will access your DSM mainly from a single device (PC or laptop) I would suggest to keep it simple and use the entry in your hosts file to redirect those kinds of requests towards a local IP address of your NAS and access it that way.

Another thing you can do that doesn't involve and configuration is to simply use the local ip address of your nas and port numbers to access your NAS and services while you are inside your LAN. There is really no reason to use public names while "home" besides using the same principle all the time (I get that). Still, in your case, you might not have any other options apart from getting a router that does support NAT loopback option.

If you don't own your own router but use an ISP one, don't bother, just stick with LAN IPs while home (imho)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.