Can volumes be hibernated individually within the same unit?

Currently reading
Can volumes be hibernated individually within the same unit?

I was planning on using my DS1621+ to set up two separate volumes:
Volume 1:
2x 4TB SSD in RAID1
Volume 2:
2x12TB HDD as RAID1/SHR-1

The idea behind this setup was:
- To have a noiseless SSD volume (aside from DS cooling fan) for frequent access of files on-demand without wait times for drives to spin up
- HDD volume to be used as semi-cold storage volume for less frequently accessed files.

Is it possible to configure the DS1621+ to power down (hibernate) the HDD drives when not in use while still allowing regular access to the SSD volume?

Thank you for the feedback! Are there any possible work arounds, e.g. is it possible to hibernate a separate DX517 (housing the HDDs) while using the main unit for the SSDs?

Yes, this is possible and is how I run 2 volumes on my RS1221+ (same underpinnings as your DS1621+).
Thank you for the feedback!
Did this work out of the box by just activating HDD hibernation without any additional steps?
Also, can the expansion unit (DX517) be powered down locally (using power button) while the main unit is running? I understand that normally the expansion unit powers up/down together with the main unit.

Yes, just out of the box with the GUI settings:

2021-11-05 at 14.59.31.png

I've not had experience with RX/DX units so no idea about the power - I had presumed they all had to be on or off, not mixed mode.

Generally the RX/DX units are not well regarded. I did take some sage advice, including from this forum, to stay away from them - they are expensive, underpowered, poor bandwidth and adversely compete with existing bandwidth, have limited functionality and a brief career tied to a specific model range. The only feature they offer above a regular unit is that you can span an existing volume onto the expansion unit. However, given the extra fragility operating in this mode you would be mad to utilise such a feature.

So for me my expansion for my RS1221+ was to get an RS819 to accompany it. Way cheaper, safer, more features, extra redundancy and less fragility. I would follow a similar path if I was on the DS series.

☕

Thank you for the advice and the background details!

I do not know the RS/RX units but just to clarify, you do not have an expansion unit, instead you have two separate units (you mentioned "extra redundancy")?
Is it possible to manage/configure two units in a setup like yours in a combined fashion or will each unit need to be managed individually? I assume this doesn't work but if it is possible, I would prefer to only deal with one instance of DSM to manage my storage.

I am still somewhat confused now as member Telos first stated that what I am trying to achieve is not possible and I also came across another post, stating that Synology's power managment would not allow it.

I bought my DS1621+ before I first came across this information and I have not opened the box yet (retailer will not take it back if I do). I am not sure how to proceed now. Any advice?

Just to summarize, this is what I am trying to achieve:
- DS1621+ unit
- Two volume setup (one HDD RAID1 + one SDD RAID1)
-> Will idling HDD RAID hibernate while SSD RAID is being accessed? And likewise, assuming all drives are already in hibernation: Will HDD volume wake from hibernation as soon as SSD volume is accessed?

In synology, the system partition is on all drives. To assure integrity of that partion, all disks should wake up/hibernate at the same time, as often something must be written to the system partition, like a log.
No exceptions.

Thank you for the advice and the background details!

I do not know the RS/RX units but just to clarify, you do not have an expansion unit, instead you have two separate units (you mentioned "extra redundancy")?
Is it possible to manage/configure two units in a setup like yours in a combined fashion or will each unit need to be managed individually? I assume this doesn't work but if it is possible, I would prefer to only deal with one instance of DSM to manage my storage.

Extra redundancy:
- With an expansion unit if the esata cable comes out you have a potentially major problem
- If the NAS hosting the expansion fails then the expansion unit is a data paperweight
- With a an esata error all the downstream drives will be impacted, undermining the R in RAID
- A bad DSM update on the prime unit will leave you without access to the expansion unit

As for managing more than one instance of DSM - well for routine use there is no difference using mounted shares on one NAS or multiple units. For the maintenance aspects of DSM you use the Synology Central Management System on the primary unit to run and control all other client NASes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.