Can you combine different drives with same size on DS918+?

Currently reading
Can you combine different drives with same size on DS918+?

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
1. I have 2 6TB WD red drives and want to know if I can combine them with 2 6TB Iron Wolf or Iron Wolf pro? Im using SHR.
Thanks

Just google a bit for the details.
Synology has declared that the SMR+CMR combination in RAID is not supported as of increased risk of data loss.
It has to do with the fact that SMR has to re-write all tracks, and CMR does not.

If your WD drives are "only" red, then you are at 5400RPM, seagate turns at 7200RPM (one of the reasons theyare so noisy).

Regarding the prices they are very similar, but if you have an opportunity on sg, why not.

Personnally, I do not understand the purpose of "pro" raid disk... it is anachronic.

Even if the brands can be mixed together, the tech specs must add up too.

Anyways, the rule of the slowest is the king applies, whatever you have as pro, plus, gold, platinum, enterprise, exos... it will be the slowest who will gives the tempo.

I am ashamed, I had never heard about SMR/CMR :s

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.