Can you recommend a "networking for dummies" book?

Currently reading
Can you recommend a "networking for dummies" book?

NAS
DS220+, DS918+, RS1219+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
You guys have helped me out quite a bit and I'm liking where I'm going with my setup, but I'm still only understanding bits and pieces of this networking puzzle. I've been doing lots of reading here and on other places online, but haven't really found a good site that I feel pulls everything together for me. I prefer studying stuff from a book instead of online anyways. Does anyone know of a good basic primer on networking? I'm wanting to get a better understanding of all the different jargon (dhcp, dns,vpn, reverse proxy, etc...) and how all the different systems work together in a home/small business network. Before any of you wiseguys suggest it, I do know that there are actual "networking for dummies" books out there. I just figured I'd check and see if anybody had any other suggestions. The previews to that book looked grandma-level basic (how to connect the internet). I'm looking for something a little more advanced that gradually leads into all of the technical stuff and explains how it all works together.

It’s going to be hard to find one that covers all with the desired level of detail. However, if you work on understanding the basics (e.g. the OSI networking layers model, the TCP/IP suite and the IP address space and subnetting), it’ll help in understanding the relationships and where things are happening and why. Slowly the other subjects (in the “peripheral vision”) will start falling into place much more easily.

Check this one:
TCP/IP Guide book

The author has a free online version on his site. I’m not sure if it covers everything in the book (or if the book is a copy of the site). You’ll need to rummage through and see…
The TCP/IP Guide site

Note that this is an old book (2005). I’ve never used it, but from my readings it popped up as recommended a few times.

YT and keywords "networking for beginners", "networking basics", ... and for all the new discovered acronyms

you have chance 1:5 that you will find interactive knowledge include interactive examples that will help you better step in

Consider a podcast? This is a great place to cover most of what you list, well explained:

I am looking to make a GPU type server where I can transfer GPU intensive load, what would be something I should go for... considering I am totally in for any DIY solution..

I am looking to make a GPU type server where I can transfer GPU intensive load, what would be something I should go for... considering I am totally in for any DIY solution..
you don’t have idea what CUDA parallel programming/processing needs, because your research in land of Synology must be shoot into dark:
- small NAS box
- must be uncovered for such usage
- must purchase PCI-e Riser card for the GPU
- but in the small NAS box has single 8x PCI-e 3.0 lanes, in the best case
- you need recreate support for the GPU processing

So I went out and bought these books:

Networking All-in-One for Dummies

The Unauthorized Guide to Ubiquiti Routing & Switching Vol1

Networking Made Easy

Computer Networking

Surpisingly, the Dummies book was the most in-depth a complete guide out of the four. It did help me start to understand the different systems and what they do, but none of the books really help me understand how to go about implementing say a VPN or reverse proxy. If I had to pick one, I'd suggest the Dummies book. Its better than it looks.

Wow, you’re on a roll. Go get’em :)
You’ll be our (SynoForum’s) networking guru in no time.
Will Ferrell Lol GIF

doubt it :ROFLMAO:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back