Can you reduce the number of drives in a volume?

Currently reading
Can you reduce the number of drives in a volume?

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I have 4 8tb drives in my DS918+ but am only using 6tb of storage. Can I remove one of the drives or convert it to a hot spare?
Thanks

Because I'm using a total of 6tb and have a capacity of 20tb so I thought why waste the wear and tear on a drive I don't need right now and just run with 3 8TB drives instead of 4

just run with 3 8TB drives instead of 4
Looking over this thread, you haven't mentioned the RAID type or number of pools. If RAID6/SHR2 removal is doable. If RAID5/SHR removal will leave you without redundancy.

Re: Hot spare... this isn't a good thing (IMO) if you have regular access to the NAS. I much prefer a "cold spare".

I am using SHR with 4 8TB drives. I would like to remove the 8TB from bay 4 so I have only bay 1,2 and 3 with a 8TB in each. Is this possible?

I am using SHR with 4 8TB drives. I would like to remove the 8TB from bay 4 so I have only bay 1,2 and 3 with a 8TB in each. Is this possible?
To do this right means backing up all and starting over. Technically, you can remove one drive, but you will no longer have redundancy, and you will forever get alerts of a degraded volume. Should one of the 3 remaining drives fail, you are at risk for losing all content.

Since you are only using 6 TB, you could pull a drive and reformat it to remove the DSM cruft, then connect it to the NAS via USB, and use Hyper Backup to back up your files/packages/configuration. Use "compression" to ensure all fits on the 8 TB backup drive.

When that is complete, you would delete your volumes, and then use the three drive to form a new SHR volume. When that's done, install Hyper Backup on the new volume, connect it to the 8 TB USB backup and restore files/packages/configuration.

Do you delete the Volume or the storage pool or both?
-- post merged: --

I already have everything backed up on 2 pc's so I just delete the pool or volume?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.