Currently reading
DS file Cannot access NAS outside of home network

NAS
DS-718+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Subject says it all. How can access files when I'm on the road?

Also, I have a folder on the NAS titled "home" and a second one titled "homes." I'm thinking that I don't need both, but can't remember which is associated with which program.

You only see "homes" when logged in with an administrator account. You should be using a regular "user" account for file storage/sharing/streaming etc. Only use an administrator account when performing administrator-level tasks... installing/removing packages; setting user privileges; creating shared folders; etc.

And never use an administrator login via QuickConnect.

Setup VPN server, and make your remote connections via VPN.

Great! So how do I access it when I'm outside of my home network?
Telos already said it. VPN server package and connect that way. Another way is to setup DDNS name using external access section in control panel and access your nas that way. In both cases you can use all of Synology mobile or web apps to access your content.

The thread title might suggest that you have already tried or are using some methods, but from what I can tell it is more of a question how to configure it.

My apologies for the confusing subject. All I've done is install the apps in DSM and install the mobile apps on my phone.

Do you have a link to setting up DDNS, as I'm not sure I can use a VPN over my phone...

My apologies for the confusing subject. All I've done is install the apps in DSM and install the mobile apps on my phone.

Do you have a link to setting up DDNS, as I'm not sure I can use a VPN over my phone...

Telos and Rusty, thank you again for your comments. I re-read everything and think I now have a better understanding. I enabled the VPN server in my NAS and configured it. I chose OpenVPN based upon security. I downloaded Bitdefender VPN on my Iphone as that's what I've been using for testing. Bitdefender has a simple on/off functionality and I don't see any way to connect to a specific network. It appears to protect your browsing.

In settings on my phone, there is a VPN toggle, but it does not remain on. I tap it, it comes on, but a second or two later turns back off again. I found the configuration screen for the phone's VPN under General and that's where I'm stuck. It wants a Server, Remote ID and local ID. I see the instructions for setting up VPN through a computer. Is there a similar guide for mobile?

Telos and Rusty, thank you again for your comments. I re-read everything and think I now have a better understanding. I enabled the VPN server in my NAS and configured it. I chose OpenVPN based upon security. I downloaded Bitdefender VPN on my Iphone as that's what I've been using for testing. Bitdefender has a simple on/off functionality and I don't see any way to connect to a specific network. It appears to protect your browsing.

In settings on my phone, there is a VPN toggle, but it does not remain on. I tap it, it comes on, but a second or two later turns back off again. I found the configuration screen for the phone's VPN under General and that's where I'm stuck. It wants a Server, Remote ID and local ID. I see the instructions for setting up VPN through a computer. Is there a similar guide for mobile?
You will have to export your open vpn file from your vpn server using the export button. Edit the file and add your public ip or ddns name inside it. After that import that file in your mobile vpn app of choice.

If you are talking about it. Is it better to use OpenVPN because Im using Synology VPN Plus server on my RT2600AC and connecting to it with browsers on PC and mobile app on my iPhone
Considering that you have the option to use the plus version of VPN (no option for it on the nas), you can ofc use that as well

@Striker @Rusty Let's not take the subject away from the original issue. A separate thread can be started to discuss the merits of which VPN type to use and which packages on the two platforms.

There was a slightly rambling thread about using VPN servers on DMS and SRM, but a new one to discuss new questions may be useful.

@Striker @Rusty Let's not take the subject away from the original issue. A separate thread can be started to discuss the merits of which VPN type to use and which packages on the two platforms.

There was a slightly rambling thread about using VPN servers on DMS and SRM, but a new one to discuss new questions may be useful.
Sorry. I just wanted to know becuae I thought this thread is well answered. Thanks for link ;)

You will have to export your open vpn file from your vpn server using the export button. Edit the file and add your public ip or ddns name inside it. After that import that file in your mobile vpn app of choice.

Rusty, I think this is where the Synology help guides fall a bit short. They don't explain what your public IP address is or how to find it. Additionally, there is no discussion regarding what happens if your internet provider changes your external IP address.

Rusty, I think this is where the Synology help guides fall a bit short. They don't explain what your public IP address is or how to find it. Additionally, there is no discussion regarding what happens if your internet provider changes your external IP address.
Just like @Telos said. Unless you know your public ip and/or it is not static, make sure to register it with a DDNS service (Control Panel > External Accees > DDNS (tab)).

With DDNS you will solve your dynamic IP problem and simply use it as a destination in the ovpn config file that you need to change.

First several lines in the ovpn file look lik this:

Code:
dev tun
tls-client

remote YOUR_DDNS_NAME 1194

# The "float" tells OpenVPN to accept authenticated packets from any address,
# not only the address which was specified in the --remote option.
# This is useful when you are connecting to a peer which holds a dynamic address
# such as a dial-in user or DHCP client.
# (Please refer to the manual of OpenVPN for more information.)

#float

# If redirect-gateway is enabled, the client will redirect it's
# default network gateway through the VPN.
# It means the VPN connection will firstly connect to the VPN Server
# and then to the internet.
# (Please refer to the manual of OpenVPN for more information.)

So, open it in your text editor and just change the YOUR_DDNS_NAME with your registered DDNS name.

After that, import the file in your VPN client of choice and you are good to go. Also, don't forget @fredbert comment here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.