DS2413+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
Hi

I've managed to install an IP-camera to my Surveillance Station, and I've also managed to record files, so it's working OK.

The problem I've got, is that sometimes I could not connect to the camera (like for live stream), but I got the "famous" error 'Cannot connect to WebSocket', and some instructions how to solve this. Sometimes everything works OK. I see no reason why it sometimes works, and sometimes it doesn't. The mobile app works OK, every time. This happens also even when trying to look the videos from Surveillance *Station web page...

I've tried to use https -connection, but I see no difference. Unfortunately, I do not quite understand how to set the reverse proxy in this case, as it's the other suggested way to try to solve this problem. Does it mean, that the traffic from port 554 needs to be routed to port 5000 (or 5001), because the camera uses rtsp -protocol?

Could someone give a basic instruction how to do this. Please write so simple (line by line), that I learn how to do it, so I don't have to ask again...

In addition to this: I'm connecting the Surveilance Station from the same LAN (client and the server are in the 192.168.0... network), if it helps.

So no one has the same problem, or any explanation why the webpage of the Surveillance Stations does not work properly...? Why not even the programs from the Surveillance Station web page start properly every time? No, I do not have the uBlock.

When using the Windows client software, everything works OK. Is the going to be a client software for Linux?

Upvote 0
Are you using reverse proxy?
As I wrote in the first mail, I do not, because I do not quite understand how to do it. Do I even need the reverse proxy, when connecting to the Surveillance Station with the IP number from the same network?

Upvote 0
Kind of in the same boat here, I get the "Cannot connect to WebSocket" when playing Live View or recordings" error. I cannot play live view too.
Do not have a proxy either.

Upvote 0
Any chance you fixed this? I've added a new Reolink camera and got the exact same issue. All other cameras work fine, this one has this exact issue...

Upvote 0
Any chance you fixed this? I've added a new Reolink camera and got the exact same issue. All other cameras work fine, this one has this exact issue...
Sadly I haven't. In fact given up and just see the recordings. Live View I use their own app.

Upvote 0
Sadly I haven't. In fact given up and just see the recordings. Live View I use their own app.
After a week I've finally fixed this issue. This is what you need to do:-

1. Edit the camera from ONIF to the correct brand of camera and model. This allows you to edit more video settings.
2. Edit the video settings changing them to h.265 instead
3. Download the Surveillance Station Desktop client.

It now works perfectly.

Any problems reach out :)

Upvote 0
After a week I've finally fixed this issue. This is what you need to do:-

1. Edit the camera from ONIF to the correct brand of camera and model. This allows you to edit more video settings.
2. Edit the video settings changing them to h.265 instead
3. Download the Surveillance Station Desktop client.

It now works perfectly.

Any problems reach out :)
No Linux client...

Upvote 0
That's annoying. Separately Reolink have provided me with a firmware update for the camera that allows it to work in 264 but I think it also downgrades the camera quality... I'm testing it in a couple of days, I will report back and provide you with the link if it works.

Upvote 0
OK, tested it. The firmware update allows the 264 however drops the quality of the camera down as well (so making a 4k camera pointless). If you have a windows machine the above way works, but the 265 won't display via the web browser so you need the desktop client. Thanks for your help on this, sorry I couldn't fix it for you as well.

Upvote 0
Hi

I've managed to install an IP-camera to my Surveillance Station, and I've also managed to record files, so it's working OK.

The problem I've got, is that sometimes I could not connect to the camera (like for live stream), but I got the "famous" error 'Cannot connect to WebSocket', and some instructions how to solve this. Sometimes everything works OK. I see no reason why it sometimes works, and sometimes it doesn't. The mobile app works OK, every time. This happens also even when trying to look the videos from Surveillance *Station web page...

I've tried to use https -connection, but I see no difference. Unfortunately, I do not quite understand how to set the reverse proxy in this case, as it's the other suggested way to try to solve this problem. Does it mean, that the traffic from port 554 needs to be routed to port 5000 (or 5001), because the camera uses rtsp -protocol?

Could someone give a basic instruction how to do this. Please write so simple (line by line), that I learn how to do it, so I don't have to ask again...

In addition to this: I'm connecting the Surveilance Station from the same LAN (client and the server are in the 192.168.0... network), if it helps.
Hi Arto,

You might try changing the video format in the camera settings (Device Settings, on the Video tab). I've found a lot of cameras have bugs in one video format that don't show up at all when using another video format.

Upvote 0
In my case I had the issue of assigning a wrong certificate to the Surveillance Station service. So, I had to use either HTTP to avoid the certificate, or use a default assigned [mysynologyname].synology.me certificate to pass by.

It would be interesting to enable the video over a custom domain like: https://surveillance.[yourdomain].[whatever] along with reverse proxy but I had no luck this far - the video is just not working as the custom certificate for the domain (https://https://surveillance.[yourdomain].[whatever]) can't come through for the video, although is just working fine with the browser, showing secure connection.

Now, that it's been settled the Surveillance Windows desktop app is working and the Android DS Cam stopped complaining about forwarding ports, which was never really the issue.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.