Cannot Delete Single Files From Time Machine Backups

Currently reading
Cannot Delete Single Files From Time Machine Backups

Operating system
  1. macOS
Hi Forum,

Basically hopeless at this point, as for a year I have been trying to figure out how to delete instances of a file / folder from my time machine backups which I use my DS718+ for.

when I "enter time machine" I see the list of all my backups (hourly, daily , weekly). When i select one of them, there is no option to detele an instance of a file / folder from all backups. The "trash can" icon a the top is also disabled.

can someone please help, literally willing to pay for a solution at this point. I have mac OS 12.3

From what I've read ( and checked on my TM drive directly connected to the iMac OS 10.13)

Enter Time Machine (You must be viewing the file from within Time Machine, and not in the Finder)
Right Click on file/folder
Delete all backups of .......

This is possible not on APFS external drives due to APFS technology, not Time Machine per se. Any APFS snapshot will be ready-only

From what I've read ( and checked on my TM drive directly connected to the iMac OS 10.13)

Enter Time Machine (You must be viewing the file from within Time Machine, and not in the Finder)
Right Click on file/folder
Delete all backups of .......

This is possible not on APFS external drives due to APFS technology, not Time Machine per se. Any APFS snapshot will be ready-only
Is there a way to configure my synology to not be APFS ? Is there anyway to use my synology without this limitation ?

I have no idea about the pros or cons, but I'm guessing it would involve a totally new fresh backup which seems overkill to delete one file or folder in a backup archive.

To be honest I don't really understand the need to delete anything from the TM in the first place, surely in time as the space fills up and TM deletes older backups the files will just disappear anyway.
-- post merged: --

Just re-read the Synology info page at in the notes at the very bottom

For macOS Sierra (10.12) and later, Time Machine uses SMB as the default protocol. We recommend you to perform Time Machine backups via SMB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.