Cannot map network drive due to "System error 86"

Currently reading
Cannot map network drive due to "System error 86"

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
I apologize if this is a stupid/frequent question but I couldn't find this exact issue on the forums or honestly anywhere; maybe I just don't know what to look up.

I setup my DS920+, made user accounts, created shared folders, applied privileges, etc. For example, let's say I created the user named "Main" with the password "Password". I try to map the shared folder to a network drive in Windows 10, and it asks for credentials. I put in the username "Main" with password "Password" and it says invalid password. I attempted [net use v: \\deviceIP\sharename] and login via the username and password, and I receive "System error 86 has occurred. The specified network password is not correct." I get the same issue if I use the Synology Assistant.

I can log onto the DS920+ just fine via the DSM through my web browser and I can ping the device in Windows just fine. I am not part of a domain. I've tried adding the windows credentials to no luck. I've cleared windows credentials and restarted to no luck. I'm very new to this but I've spent the past couple of days trying to research this issue and haven't come to any solutions that work for me. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you.

In my experience this is most probably a WIndows issue.
Best to sesrch the forums with keywords like connection issue nas.
You will find several guidelines how to solve this, like flushing dns cache, correcting security settings in registry etc. Sometimes a reset of the W10 network helps.

Upvote 0
Do you need to enable SMB for that user?

Control Panel -> User -> (select user) -> Edit -> Applications -> SMB allow

?
This user has all applications allowed.
1638378675258.png

Upvote 0
> Run as admin
> Copy paste each of the Following commands + Enter for each
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset
netsh winhttp reset proxy
netsh winhttp reset tracing
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset all
netsh int ipv4 reset catalog
netsh int ipv6 reset catalog

otherwise:

Upvote 0
Just to be 100% certain: you have allowed the user to access the new shared folder?

Can this user connect to their home folder from Windows? \\NAS\home
1638382647983.png

If I do this, it just gives me invalid password. Upon performing a windows "diagnose" it says I do not have permission to access. If I log on to this user via the DSM, I can access the shared folder.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Which version of SMB are you using?
1638386993414.png

I'm using Max SMB3 and Min SMB2. On my Windows machine, SMB1 is enabled and SMB2 is enabled.
-- post merged: --

if you seach the error 86, it may well be as easy as setting NTLM to NTLMv2

1638387233797.png

I'm currently on this setting. Changing to NTLMv2 response only prevents me from connecting to the NAS entirely via my Windows machine, whereas I still get error 86 when on Use NTLMv2 If Negotiated.

Upvote 0
1638382647983.png

If I do this, it just gives me invalid password. Upon performing a windows "diagnose" it says I do not have permission to access. If I log on to this user via the DSM, I can access the shared folder.
That can simply be a credentials conflict. Delete all credential which apply to your NAS. Reboot PC and try again.

Upvote 0
View attachment 4938
I'm using Max SMB3 and Min SMB2. On my Windows machine, SMB1 is enabled and SMB2 is enabled.

View attachment 4939
I'm currently on this setting. Changing to NTLMv2 response only prevents me from connecting to the NAS entirely via my Windows machine, whereas I still get error 86 when on Use NTLMv2 If Negotiated.
SMB settings look fine. In case the NTLMv2 does not work, check the NAS side first, it is in SMB “advanced, Other”. In case that is ok (NTLM v1 not checked) there is definitely a W10 issue, as NTLMV2 should work, it replaced the vulnerable v1 several years ago.

Upvote 0
SMB settings look fine. In case the NTLMv2 does not work, check the NAS side first, it is in SMB “advanced, Other”. In case that is ok (NTLM v1 not checked) there is definitely a W10 issue, as NTLMV2 should work, it replaced the vulnerable v1 several years ago.
NTLMv1 is not checked on the NAS. I figured it wasn't the NAS as I've had similar issues to this some time ago with an old DIY NAS, but I just can't seem to fix this one. I'll do some more research on the Windows side of things.

That can simply be a credentials conflict. Delete all credential which apply to your NAS. Reboot PC and try again.
There are no saved credentials on Windows besides the generic ones.
1638464398384.png

Upvote 0
Lots of good info here - am having problems of this sort, so will make my way through the various suggestions.

Seems clear that there are several things that may contribute to the issue, so I'm hoping there's an extended, step-wise list of things that can be checked and eliminated. I might start such a thread if I solve the problem without reformatting my NAS drives.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.