DS412+
Operating system
  1. Windows
  2. other
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
Cannot MAP Network drive on Win11 threw Webdav

Hi there, I want to map/mount my synology drive on my laptop with Win11 but cannot due to following error: 0x80070043
Therefore, it's important to note that:
  • When I use Raidrive, it does work perfectly
  • I use https and port 5006
  • I've set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WebClient\Parameters\BasicAuthLevel to 2

Please help... I really don't know what to do now...

Big up in advance.

Youlrick
-- post merged: --

Besides:

When mapping the drive I point it to port 5006
https://xxxx.yyyy.net:5006

Check “Reconnect at sign-in
Check “Connect using different credentials”

then it asks for my login/pwd and trigger this error 0x80070043

Of course, I want to map drive with windows 11 default mapping. Raidrive was just for the test. Since Raidrive works fine, I believe it's not a synology error but rather a window's one. Thx

Upvote 0
Win11 mapping does not use WebDAV. So I'm not understanding your issue.
My synology is using webdav and windows is connecting to the Synology threw webdav. All I want is to map my synology shared folder on my PC laptop threw webdav protocol.
Same as this post for instance: Synology Community
thanks telos

Upvote 0
OP is there a particular reason you need to connect via Webdav? As per @Telos above, this is not the standard way to connect to remote shares like your NAS under windows. Under Win11, the usual way would be using SMB rather than webdav. Instructions for this are here

In step 4 of the link above, you should enter something like \\nasname\sharename\
(note you can use the IP address of the NAS in place of the nasname here.)

Win11 will prompt you for a username and password and offer to remember this. These should be the username & pw of a user on the NAS who has permissions to access the share.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Great you got it working.
no it doesn't work. UP is for waking up the thread. ;-)

OP is there a particular reason you need to connect via Webdav? As per @Telos above, this is not the standard way to connect to remote shares like your NAS under windows. Under Win11, the usual way would be using SMB rather than webdav. Instructions for this are here

In step 4 of the link above, you should enter something like \\nasname\sharename\

Win11 will prompt you for a username and password and offer to remember this. These should be the username & pw of a user on the NAS who has permissions to access the share.
SMB is for local connection. I want to connect from abroad. I just want the drives to be mapped just like SMB in local but with Webdav over ther internet.

Besides I've tried with \\mynas.net\ and \\myipadress, it asks for login pwd and then got the same exact error. It doesn't change whereas I start with https:// or \\ or ipadress. As it works with Raidrive, I suppose the issue comes from windows configuration... But have no clue at all.

Upvote 0
I use a paid application for such purposes, WebDrive.
I had purchased that app for other reasons and started using it also for my NAS when the need to access some shared folders while not at home appeared.
I know, there are other and safer options to access files on NAS over internet but it was quite easy with WebDrive and no connection issues at all. Mapping the folders from Windows standard procedure gave me troubles...

Upvote 0
SMB is for local connection. I want to connect from abroad.
Ok - that wasnt clear from your OP.
There's a lot of missing details that ofc need to be in place, like have you forwarded the correct ports on yiour router, have you configured a DDNS name or do you have a static public IP etc?

Assuming all that is in place correctly, and you have installed Webdav server on the NAS, according to the Syno KB the webdav connection needs to be done over https; have you set up an SSL cert on the NAS and imported it to your client PC(s)?

Its worth noting that even the Syno instructions recommend using one of the paid clients like Raidrive and Cyberduck rather than doing this through Windows native drive mapping.

Upvote 0
Ok - that wasnt clear from your OP.
There's a lot of missing details that ofc need to be in place, like have you forwarded the correct ports on yiour router, have you configured a DDNS name or do you have a static public IP etc?

Assuming all that is in place correctly, and you have installed Webdav server on the NAS, according to the Syno KB the webdav connection needs to be done over https; have you set up an SSL cert on the NAS and imported it to your client PC(s)?

Its worth noting that even the Syno instructions recommend using one of the paid clients like Raidrive and Cyberduck rather than doing this through Windows native drive mapping.
Port forwarding is OK, ddns is on and static adress dully registered.
Regarding the SSL certificate, it might be the problem, i've imported it but not sure though I did it right.
Any suggestions how to do so?
Thank you Fortran !

Upvote 0
Port forwarding is OK, ddns is on and static adress dully registered.
Regarding the SSL certificate, it might be the problem, i've imported it but not sure though I did it right.
Any suggestions how to do so?
Thank you Fortran !
I don't have a windows machine to hand & don't use it much, but from memory it goes something like:
Open the 'certificates' MMC plugin (search for it after clicking on start button), Action | Tasks | Import Certificate... and browse to your cert. The bit I can't remember without being in front of it is which subsection the cert needs to go in...think it's 'Local Machine' or something like that.

This is a bit vague, but may give you the gist...

I've never used WebDav as you're doing, but from everything I've heard and others in this thread have said, I'd probably go with one of the commercial solutions that is known to work. The native Windows implementation sounds a bit flaky.

Upvote 0
Surely if you have a valid certificate (one that matches the server name you use to connect to WebDAV) then you wouldn’t have to install yours in Windows. Usually installing certificates is only needed when the OS cannot verify it using its already builtin public CA certificates.

If you use Lets Encrypt from within DSM then you should be able to create a valid certificate. Especially since if you are also using Synology DDNS as that will create a wildcard certificate for you.

Upvote 0
Last edited by a moderator:
True; OP doesnt state what cert he is using. You'd need to import if you're using a self-signed Synology cert; if you use a Lets Encrypt cert on your NAS then ofc the rootCA will already be present on the Win11 client machine.

OP, as a test, does Webdav on your Win11 machine work internally? This might indicate whether your issue is with Win11 Webdev itself, or is an external / router / port mapping / firewall etc problem.

Upvote 0
Cannot MAP Network drive on Win11 threw Webdav

Hi there, I want to map/mount my synology drive on my laptop with Win11 but cannot due to following error: 0x80070043
Therefore, it's important to note that:
  • When I use Raidrive, it does work perfectly
  • I use https and port 5006
  • I've set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WebClient\Parameters\BasicAuthLevel to 2

Please help... I really don't know what to do now...

Big up in advance.

Youlrick

Besides:

When mapping the drive I point it to port 5006
https://xxxx.yyyy.net:5006

Check “Reconnect at sign-in
Check “Connect using different credentials”

then it asks for my login/pwd and trigger this error 0x80070043
FWIW, I use WebDAV to map folders from my DS110j to a Win10 laptop. Perhaps importantly for this thread, the mapping works great when I an on the same network as the NAS or if I VPN to that network when I am remote. But if I am remote / on another network and without the VPN on, the mapping does not work (can't find the NAS). My situation is a little unusual as the NAS is connected to a network over which I have no control, but the OP's issue seems as if it might be a firewall / port opening thing. BUT WebDAV does allow remote NAS file access in the absence of a paid 3rd party service.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.