Cannot register a device for push alerts but can actually connect via all apps without issue

Currently reading
Cannot register a device for push alerts but can actually connect via all apps without issue

NAS
DS920+, DS416J
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
  3. other
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I've actually raised a case with Synology support for this but thought some quicker responses here might make life easier.

I can connect to my DS920+ via all the apps (DS Cam, DS Finder, DS Photo, etc) without issue but I cannot for the life of me, setup push alerts. I think I had this working at some point ages ago after buying the new DS920+ but somehow this isn't working.

The issue, as far as I can see is that when i try to register the mobile. for push alerts by using DS Finder and saving it to the favourite list, it doesn't see the device and therefore won't allow me to set it up for push alerts. I've followed the advice that says to set it up via the Finder app and then to enable push alerts via the apps but, like I say, the DSM doesn't see the mobile as a device is can send push alerts to. Emails notification work and are fine but it's push that I'm after (as I don't have alerts for emails setup on my phone). I have an older DS416J that works seamlessly (well, it's slow but works) with DS Cam and it issues push alerts (and importantly, it has the mobile detected in the list of devices it can push to).

Is there some setting I'm missing here? I've avoided opening ports as I use a DDNS address and use the reverse proxy for all apps I want to access externally and even for the DSM itself.

If there's something vital I've missed here, please do ask and and I'll add it in. Also, when the push issue is sorted, I'd like to see if there's anything I can do to speed up connection to DS Cam as it currently takes 30s to connect, 20-25s to show video and it's painful!

Last edited:
Are you on RC? If so, push alerts are gone.
Hi @Telos, I don't think so as the option for Push Alerts is still present. I'm on DSM 6.2.4-25556.
-- post merged: --

Hi @Telos, I don't think so as the option for Push Alerts is still present. I'm on DSM 6.2.4-25556.
... and I'm on the same version on both DSMs.

I'm on DSM 6.2.4-25556
It goes away with DSM7

eaib9H0.png

It goes away with DSM7

eaib9H0.png
Ok. I’ve been hearing about DSM 7 for some time now, so I guess I’ll need to come up with something suitable to allow notifications that for my need when that’s fully released, but for fixing my immediate issue, does anyone have any ideas? I know I could setup a webhook or something to alert via home assistant but I just don’t understand why this push functionality isn’t working on this device.

I think what's removed is the email push through Synology's email server, not mobile push. At least that's how I understand it from the upgrade notes (I didn’t try any DSM 7 releases yet).

I hope it's not as you said @Telos. Mobile push is almost instantaneous. I really like it. I've never configured any email notifications.

Might be worth raising a ticket and confirming with Synology. I might do that.

I think what's removed is the email push through Synology's email server, not mobile push. At least that's how I understand it from the upgrade notes (I didn’t try any DSM 7 releases yet).

I hope it's not as you said @Telos. Mobile push is almost instantaneous. I really like it. I've never configured any email notifications.

Might be worth raising a ticket and confirming with Synology. I might do that.
Agreed. Mobile push is very useful (when it works ;))

Did some tests yesterday on pushover service with dsm 7. Works fine but not over push service tab but email tab.

Same principal just Syno killed their email gateway for this purpose. Setting your own smtp for this case works just fine.

Ofc this is for using pushover as a mobile push platform. Other then that DSfind still works fine.

For some closure on this thread. In terms of my original issue, it was 'resolved' because I contacted Synology about something completely different (a folder permissions issue, preventing me from using Synology C2 backup) and when they fixed the permissions for that, it seemed to fix the mobile push issue. From that point on, it all worked as you would expect and I started receiving mobile push alerts again. I asked them what they did to fix it but as it wasn't intentional on their part, they couldn't offer an explanation. I was just happy to have them working again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.