Currently reading
Can't Access Mobile Apps While On Same Network

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
This group is my last resort as I haven't been able to find my answers elsewhere and I am at a complete loss. So I hope y'all can help!

I have everything set up and it is working flawlessly minus one small hurdle. Let me explain...

I am using a custom domain name and running through Cloudflare. I really, REALLY want to be as secure as possible and I have heard this is the best way.
I have subdomains set up - files.domain.com, I also have them set up in Cloudflare.
I have certificates set up and everything is working perfectly.
Using reverse proxy.

The problem and what is puzzling is this:
I can access files.domain.com on my computer and phone (web browser) while on the network and while off the network (cell).
However, I am unable to use the iOS apps while on the network using the domain and/or subdomain. This is a problem because I switch from my home network to traveling and vice versa and I dont want to have to update the login box every time I come on and off my home network.

I hope this makes sense because I have been pulling my hair out scouring the internet looking for an answer.

Solution
Everyone will be glad to know that I got this resolved. It seemed that for some reason the , "under attack mode" in Cloudflare was causing an issue. I was just thinking about it last night and turned it off and EVERYTHING works now.

A big shout out to @Gerard , @Rusty and @fredbert for all your help. I couldn't have done it with out you.

Now everything is back and configured using different port numbers, etc than what was sent in the screenshots and 2FA is turned on. I even looked around a bit in Cloudflare and turned some extra security settings on in there so we should be golden!

Thanks again! I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend.
I watched this thread and indeed it all looks just fine. The idea that I had was that the phone is on a separate/different network configuration, but then again all this works fine via a browser on that same device.

If this is an iPhone device one thing comes to mind and that's a DSFile Setting. So in System settings > DSFile there is a feature option (on/off) called "Local Network". Is that turned on?

Upvote 0
I watched this thread and indeed it all looks just fine. The idea that I had was that the phone is on a separate/different network configuration, but then again all this works fine via a browser on that same device.

If this is an iPhone device one thing comes to mind and that's a DSFile Setting. So in System settings > DSFile there is a feature option (on/off) called "Local Network". Is that turned on?
Unless, I'm missing something I don't have that option. Also, thank you so much for your help and keeping and eye on this thread.

IMG_7805E3986597-1.jpg

I’m at a loss. Seems like everything looks good. Turn your nas firewall back on and let’s see if someone else can read thru this and come up with something.

Let me think too
You have no idea how crazy this is making me. The only thing I was thinking is something like the apps can't validate the ssl certificate? But, I turned everything off in Cloudflare DNS , however, it still doesn't make sense that everything works perfectly fine through Safari.

Upvote 0
I see it there now. However, while this may be a work around as I have not tested it yet. It seems this would make me go over cell all the time even when I am away from my home wifi, say on a friends wifi, which I don’t believe is practical.

Upvote 0
I wondering if the dns isn’t resolving your domain name. It maybe working thru the browsers because it maybe using the cache.
-- post merged: --

Settings > Privacy > Local Network?

I concur with this, this is critical to check and makes the most sense.

This would have nothing to do with cell data

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Read thru this thread. I just remembered someone else had an issue with the Eero setup.

I’m guessing the eero setup would be where you need to dig into.

@nasnewbie this thread is similar to your original issue with an eero system. Were you able to resolve it?

Upvote 0
wow @Gerard ! I am so thankful for your help. I was wondering if any of it was the Cloudflare DNS and subsequently the certificates not cooperating with the apps?

Also, as a side note, should I be using Application Portal alone or in conjunction with Reverse Proxy?

@nasnewbie excited to hear about your experience

Upvote 0
Also, as a side note, should I be using Application Portal alone or in conjunction with Reverse Proxy?

I’ve just used rp for everything. Regarding application portal the only thing I added/changed there, was adding an alias. This makes it easier logging in with web browsers from the computer. I have a rp for dsm.mydomain.com I login authenticate with 2fa. Then if I want to use ds file or drive or any of the other app portals (vmm, Abb) I just use dsm.mydomain.com/alias (alias specific to the app). This is useful because I don’t have to entered the 2fa again since it’s already authenticated using the dsm.mydomain session.

Upvote 0
@Gerard Id love to talk to you about that.

Right now I have everything directed from my Cloudflare account. It made me wonder if there is a way to securely do this without cloudflare because im wondering if Synology Apps dont like the cloudflare certificate. But actually let me correct myself because it works with the cloudlfare account while not on wifi, so that doesn't hold water.

Upvote 0
@Gerard Id love to talk to you about that.

Right now I have everything directed from my Cloudflare account. It made me wonder if there is a way to securely do this without cloudflare because im wondering if Synology Apps dont like the cloudflare certificate. But actually let me correct myself because it works with the cloudlfare account while not on wifi, so that doesn't hold water.

I don’t think it’s a cert issue, because the error message would be different. If you can hit it outside of your home network and on cell and on wired (LAN) inside home network, but not on Wi-Fi - than it’s eero
-- post merged: --

Make sure the Wi-Fi network you’re on is on the same network as your wired lan and that they can talk to and see each other

Make sure it’s not some sort of guest network and make sure there’s no client isolation thing going on, which would prevent one device from talking to another

Upvote 0
Everyone will be glad to know that I got this resolved. It seemed that for some reason the , "under attack mode" in Cloudflare was causing an issue. I was just thinking about it last night and turned it off and EVERYTHING works now.

A big shout out to @Gerard , @Rusty and @fredbert for all your help. I couldn't have done it with out you.

Now everything is back and configured using different port numbers, etc than what was sent in the screenshots and 2FA is turned on. I even looked around a bit in Cloudflare and turned some extra security settings on in there so we should be golden!

Thanks again! I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend.

Upvote 0
Solution

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.