Currently reading
Can't access my Synology over Internet with File Explorer

NAS
ds215j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi, my network is composed by a Fritzbox 7530 Router connected to my provider router set as modem.
In the past I remember I didn't get this issue but now I don't know why I can't access to my Synology DS215J through the Internet with Windows Explorer.
In my Lan I can do it but if I try over the Internet I can't.
I set a Quickconnect account and I can access to the Synology over Internet regurarly but I'd like to connect - as I mentioned - with Windows Explorer and just surf in my Synology's folders/files. I also set a DDNS account and it should work regurarly (I filled the Map Network Drive fields with: http://my.ddnsaddress.net:5005 or https://my.ddsnaddress.net:5006 after have set the WebDav software in the Synology).
However, as you would have noticed I'm not an expert, therefore, I need some help.
How may I solve my issue?
Thanks!!

Solution
When you earlier suggested me to configure the ports in my router for the WebDav service I did for both default ports, entering in my Fritzbox router 7530. for WebDav
I selected Port Sharing in Diskstation and in New Sharing I set HTTP server and I filled for all fields the same default ports (TCP grey). I did the same for the HTTPS.
However, I also tried to deactivate them and I noticed in fact that the UPNP managed the ports automatically as I got success in test connection...
Now, I've re-configurated the ports in the same way I did..
I'm sorry, but I didn't find the way to modify/edit my previous message. My issue about the WebDav connessions has been solved and the reason I think it should be due to SSL certificate as it is...
Getting access using Windows Explorer over the Internet, it would mean that you need to configure WebDAV for sure.

Considering that you are using a Windows-based OS, mapping a WebDAV destination should work. So what errors are you getting when you try and do that?

Upvote 0
Getting access using Windows Explorer over the Internet, it would mean that you need to configure WebDAV for sure.

Considering that you are using a Windows-based OS, mapping a WebDAV destination should work. So what errors are you getting when you try and do that?
Many thanks for reply my friend.
It should be easy..however, I set the WebDav in Synology for both modalities (https and http) with respective default ports.
I already configured ddns service as I can use my cams through that way and then the service works fine. Furthermore, I also am able to connect myddnsaddress:portno to access in my synology externally.
The issue is to use the File Explorer feature to connect my Synology's folders and in the past I remember I could do that through the FTP with ftp://admin@myddnsaddress and I didn't configure the WebDav - as I remember...
When I use this latter url via FTP it still shows a window where I need to fill the password for the log on but when I enter my Synology's password the window reappears and it couldn't log on with my username and password specified.
In any case, now I'd like to surf in my Synology's folders in some way and I mapped the network using https://myddnsaddress:portno as I configured the WebDav in the Synology, but the system gives me "the network logon failed"..
How can I solve my issue?

Upvote 0
I meant a 3rd party WebDAV client on your Win machine. The server component on the Syno remains the same.
I've just used BitKinex and I set for https://myddnsaddress:port no and I noticed that the Client point to my ip address and the connection is established but after the SSL negotiation the connection is closed..

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Does the SSL certificate assigned to WebDAV Server include the same server/domain name that you are using in the WebDAV client application? If not then it could be the WebDAV client is dropping the connection, like a web browser will warn when there's a certificate mis-match to the domain name you used in a URL.

Upvote 0
Check and see if there are any useful informations inside the client app or on the NAS side in the var/logs/messages file
In the client app there are those informations I already said. For what about the NAS side I don't know where I can find that file...:unsure:

Upvote 0
In the client app there are those informations I already said. For what about the NAS side I don't know where I can find that file...:unsure:
You will have to SSH into your NAS and use linux command to get to that location and access the file. You will need to access with root user permissions.

Upvote 0
You will have to SSH into your NAS and use linux command to get to that location and access the file. You will need to access with root user permissions.
Thank you for your patience. I tried to type in Dos shell in my Windows machine: 'ssh adminnameofNAS@iplanNAS -p 22' or 'sshadminnameofNAS@ippublic -p 22' but I get 'connection refused'..

Upvote 0
I've enabled the service in my Synology and in prompt-Dos I've typed 'ssh myadminname@ipNASlan -p 22' and now I can access into Synology after have typed the password. Therefore, now I also can see the directories if I give 'dir' command but I don't know what I need to do now to solve my issue...

For what I'm understanding this service is fit for my purpose: access from external side into my Nas.
However, as I can remember, it looks like that in the past I was able to access into Lan externally with no SSH enabling/configuration..

Upvote 0
This process is just to access the messages file log for troubleshooting. Considering that you are not really versed into moving around linux cli environment, I would suggest that you step away from this and troubleshoot it some other way.
OK, tell me how can we do for troubleshooting so I will deactivate the SSH feature as soon as possible...

Upvote 0
You can turn off SSH as you will not need it.

Regarding your problem, maybe start with an unsecured access 1st, using WebDAV protocol over HTTP (not HTTPS) and your current public IP address on port 5005.

See if you can connect that way. If that works then move forward with hardening all the needed elements.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.