Currently reading
Can't access synology - even on local network

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I had my synology DS 920+ working fine with me accessing it via my web browser from my PC on the same network. This has stopped working now, I cannot see the login portal even when I type in the local IP address with the port just like I used to. Not getting a ping response on the local IP either. Tried powering off by long pressing the power button and powering back on, but no luck. My router logs show me that it is accessing synology servers, time sync'ing over the internet, etc. However going to Synology quickconnect says the device is offline. So it appears that the NAS isn't opening any ports for me to login, or somehow has locked me out.

I did make some changes to the network recently after which this stopped working. But I feel fairly certain they should'nt have impacted anything because I'm able to access other devices on my network just fine. And as I said, it appears from my router logs that the NAS is connected and able to talk over the internet.

How do I troubleshoot this? Is there a way I can still login to my NAS perhaps by directly connecting my laptop to it?

Last edited:
Try using Synology Assistant??
That finds all NAS’s & Routers here

Could it be you ran afoul of the “3 Strikes & Your Out” login rule? Did that once here, logged in via another computer, deleted blocked IP, and learned about/set 'allowed' IP's.....

I had my synology DS 920+ working fine with me accessing it via my web browser from my PC on the same network. This has stopped working now, I cannot see the login portal even when I type in the local IP address with the port just like I used to. Not getting a ping response on the local IP either. Tried powering off by long pressing the power button and powering back on, but no luck. My router logs show me that it is accessing synology servers, time sync'ing over the internet, etc. However going to Synology quickconnect says the device is offline. So it appears that the NAS isn't opening any ports for me to login, or somehow has locked me out.

I did make some changes to the network recently after which this stopped working. But I feel fairly certain they should'nt have impacted anything because I'm able to access other devices on my network just fine. And as I said, it appears from my router logs that the NAS is connected and able to talk over the internet.

How do I troubleshoot this? Is there a way I can still login to my NAS perhaps by directly connecting my laptop to it?
Verify your IP address on your workstation or laptop is in the same network as your Synology. You can manually set your IP address to match the network that your Synology is in, for instance, your Synology's IP 192.168.1.100, set your workstation to 192.168.1.101 with the same Subnet and Gateway as your Synology, then try to log in.

Got this figured out. I connected the NAS to my pc directly with a LAN cable and ran the Synology Assistant which showed the NAS but with connection status as 'failed'. Used it to run the network setup wizard and put both my PC and NAS on the same network. Then logged in and saw that the culprit was my NAS firewall. I loosened up the rules and its working fine now.

Thank you very much for all the help!

Btw I had a bit of trouble finding Synology Assistant on their website, so including the link here if it helps others: Synology Archive Download Site - Index of /download/Utility/Assistant

This link also came in handy at one point when SA didn't work: Synology Web Assistant

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.