DSM 7.0 Can't do Hyper Backup due to "unsupported" SSDs "overheating". Official support won't help. How do I raise shutdown temperature?

Currently reading
DSM 7.0 Can't do Hyper Backup due to "unsupported" SSDs "overheating". Official support won't help. How do I raise shutdown temperature?

NAS
DS220j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Last edited:
I am just a simple consumer with a NAS for file backup and retrieval across my home PCs. I have no real knowledge about programming, networking, or system administration. So please be patient with me. Thanks!

I have a DS220j NAS and two Kingdston SA400S37/480G SSD drives. I store my files on one drive and it backs them all up on the second drive every Sunday-- at least that's what I told it to do. Now, the drives are not officially supported by my NAS. So I've read and researched how ridiculous it is to get officially-supported drives, and I hate the idea of searching for and buying said drives.

So what currently happens is that when I try to do Hyper Backup, it can work for 2 to 10 minutes or so-- doing a tiny fraction of the total work-- before my NAS decides it has heated up too much and it shuts itself down. This happens consistently and without fail, and I always get a notification message. I've owned this NAS and these drives for over a year before realizing what was actually happening, and before realizing that I didn't have a single real backup. Yeah, I'm stupid, but I am not a system admin type so I didn't know to check until now. xD I now have a real backup, but only after babysitting Hyper Backup for half a day and restarting the NAS and backup process manually every time the NAS shut down.

I saw a thread on these forums about how SSDs have a higher operating temperature than "generic" drives (according to Synology, and which are assumed by them to be HDDs); and the thread said I should raise the shutdown temperature. I attempted to follow the instructions, but my NAS asked me for an external USB key, I think? I don't think I ever set one up. Either way, it seems I have to get root access or whatever and modify the max temperature setting. I'm guessing my SSDs need to have a max temperature of 85°C? A400 Solid State Drive – 120GB–1.92TB - Kingston Technology says the operating temp is 70°C and the storage temp is 85°C, and I'm not sure what that means.

I found these articles on these forums, which I have read:
Solved - SSD overheating during btrfs data scrubbing
Info - Synology's "Incompatibility" List ... Yikes!

I also found this on Reddit:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What can I do so that my NAS stops thinking it's overheating, and so I can finally use Hyper Backup properly? Thanks!

Solution
One of the posts you refer to, is mine.
The answer is right in that post (thanks to @jeyare ): change the temperature setting file from 61 --> 70 degrees C and you will be fine.

The cache-less SSD do become hot, which is fine for everything including the SSD, but Synology has not realised that SSD can run at the higher temperature.
I do run SSD from Samsung QLC ( coolest max 45C) and EVO 3 types, Sandisk ultra (bit warmer (48)) and Kingston A400 (over 65C).
Regrettably this issue predates the vendor-locking & vendor-nagging that we now have. Some drives (that includes Kingston and Crucia)l do trigger the overheat warnings as they run hotter than most when it with large read/writes.

I ran into this a few years ago and just swapped them out for the equivalent WD or Samsung SSDs. I guess frigging the warning values is an option via Linux CLI but in this case the warnings are 'real'. Others have stripped the lid off the SSDs to allow some airflow cooling - this has the benefit of actually doing something useful.

On the NAS cooling I consider both an empty drive caddy or one with just an SSD screwed to the base to be detrimental to the overall cooling, which can a problem for those running hotter setups. The system airflow just takes the easiest route via an empty bay, depriving the 3.5" populated bays of the external air and channeling the system airflow away from the deigned path.

I use 2.5" adapters that also act as drive fillers for empty bays:

IMG_2060.JPG

IMG_2064.JPG

They also allow me to click SSDs in and out without grabbing a screwdriver.

☕

Upvote 1
Last edited:
One of the posts you refer to, is mine.
The answer is right in that post (thanks to @jeyare ): change the temperature setting file from 61 --> 70 degrees C and you will be fine.

The cache-less SSD do become hot, which is fine for everything including the SSD, but Synology has not realised that SSD can run at the higher temperature.
I do run SSD from Samsung QLC ( coolest max 45C) and EVO 3 types, Sandisk ultra (bit warmer (48)) and Kingston A400 (over 65C).

Upvote 1
Solution
On the NAS cooling I consider both an empty drive caddy or one with just an SSD screwed to the base to be detrimental to the overall cooling, which can a problem for those running hotter setups. The system airflow just takes the easiest route via an empty bay, depriving the 3.5" populated bays of the external air and channeling the system airflow away from the deigned path.

I use 2.5" adapters that also act as drive fillers for empty bays:
They also allow me to click SSDs in and out without grabbing a screwdriver.

Thanks for the reply! I'll look into new Samsung or Western Digital SSDs now.

So I don't fully understand what you're saying. Do you mean that basically I should use a 5.25"-to-2.5" (SSD) adapter in each drive bay, which means I'm not leaving any bays completely empty even if there's no SSD in it? I might already be doing that, but I should check anyway.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Is there something I can do in the meantime (while I wait for new SSDs) to run backups from one SSD to the other, slowly or intermittently enough that it won't fail? Maybe 2 minutes of backing up and 10 minutes of rest? Or maybe a very slow transfer speed?
-- post merged: --

Furthermore, do you think WD Green will work without overheating?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JQMGHD...colid=ZTCUTU7WOGVN&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Wrong approach. Instead

Code:
cp scemd.xml scemd.xml.ORIG

Cool.
Edit: Looks like I already did that as scemd.xml.bak according to one of the guides.

So how do I edit scemd.xml then? All the guides seem to skip over information that they assume I already know, and I don't.
-- post merged: --

I seem to be stuck at this point here, though I am using Windows Powershell and not using Mac (or Linux):

My new office is slightly warmer than my old office (or: manually adjusting temperature controls on Synology NAS.) – RWX Consulting
My new office is slightly warmer than my old office (or: manually adjusting temperature controls on Synology NAS.) – RWX Consulting
Jump back into the Terminal window running your ssh NAS session and check that the scemd.xml file is in your home folder:

ls /var/services/homes/administrator

All things being equal you should see scemd.xml as the output.

Finally, you’ll need to write over the existing scemd.xml file with your edited version, and then copy the new file to /usr/syno/etc:

sudo mv /var/services/homes/administrator/scemd.xml /usr/syno/etc.defaults/scemd.xml

sudo cp /usr/syno/etc.defaults/scemd.xml /usr/syno/etc/scemd.xml

Reboot your Synology NAS to restart the appropriate services, and that should do the trick.

Upvote 0
Update. I got it working! It's at 67°C now, and like 65% done. It was never able to get to this temp before!
I kinda went in blind, but I eventually figured out my directories (which were different from the guides) and file listings, and edited and replaced schemd.xml. I did it! Thanks so much for the support!

I didn't know which post to mark as the solution, so I just picked one of the several that I liked.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.