Solved Can't set Hyper Backup Alerts:" The operation failed. Please log in to DSM again and retry"

Currently reading
Solved Can't set Hyper Backup Alerts:" The operation failed. Please log in to DSM again and retry"

NAS
ds1511+, wd red 3TB RAID1, 3GB ram. DS 940+,wd red 3TB RAID1, 12GB ram
I can't enable the various alerts in Hyper Backup.
When I enable any of them, with default values, and click apply I get "The operation failed. Please log in to DSM again and retry," which doesn't work either.

Target is C2, latest version of Hyper Backup, DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 3 on DS1511+.
I have never tried to do this in the past.

The Alert Settings are under hyper backup - backup statistics - destination usage "alert me to excessive storage usage." I get same error for alerts under the "source monitor" tab.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Tried it, but I’m backing up to an attached USB drive, and it works.

Are you logged in with an admin account?
Can you try with a locally attached drive and see?
And finally, did you try restarting? :)

Yup. Admin.
Yes, it WORKS setting alerts if target is on the NAS.
Of course ;)
Thanks!

So something about having C2 as target seems to be involved in alerts not being settable.

FWIW, I have "use client side encryption" checked under the C2 backup task's settings.

Thanks.

I do have a support ticket. Results so far have been disappointing, as usual.
Hence I'm hoping someone here can confirm alerts work with C2 and DSM 6.2.2 so we can compare notes.

I have 2 backup tasks to C2 and I can set alerts normally.

Screenshot 2019-11-05 at 19.35.48.png

Alright already, I'm off my sick-bed. You've got about 20 mins before I'm crawling back in it.

I've four HB tasks:
  1. Single version (clone) to 2nd Syno NAS of some of the shared folders stuff. Easy access if needed.
  2. Full backup of everything to local USB drive.
  3. Backup of everything important to 2nd Syno NAS.
  4. Very important stuff backup to C2.
So the Backup Stats available for these:
  1. None.
  2. Source Usage; Source Monitor.
  3. Destination Usage; Source Usage; Source Monitor.
  4. Source Usage; Source Monitor.
For C2 there is no Destination Usage tab, and this is where "alert me to excessive storage usage" would be set.

I'm on C2 Plan 1 for 300GB.

Testing on task 3's Destination Usage alert settings: yes I get lots of "The operation failed. Please log in to DSM again and retry".

I managed to set different values doing this:
  1. Set values to 0 then change the units. But mostly only GB worked.
  2. Nibble your way up to the value you want. Set 10 then 40 then 50 etc etc.
  3. Couldn't get any TB values to work.
  4. I max'ed out at 2047 GB for max storage alert.

Ah Fredbert, your're a steely-eyed rocket man. :)

The unsettable alert problem seems to stem from a default value under destination usage having a decimal value OTHER than 0 or .5.

For my C2 backup "excessive storage usage" was set to 680.8GB. Apparently set by the default configuration of this backup task. I never set it.

What's especially interesting is that only the HB initial configuration appears able to set this to an "illegal" decimal value. I couldn't get one to stick myself. IF there's an illegal value set for Destination Usage then NO Alerts on the Source monitor tab can be set and instead generate the "operation failed.." error.

So my other backup tasks worked for alerts because they didn't have illegal values under Destination Usage.

So, check that your destination usage values end in .0 or 0.5.

I'm impressed that Synology figured out a way to program this bug.

Thanks for the help!

I've seen elsewhere in DSM/SRM that setting bandwidth limits will convert from one size unit to another, and tweaks the value on the way over. I wonder if some of this in HB is a hang-over from when storage sizes were much smaller and conversion bug has be introduced, or become a bug due to not upgrading all bits of the code.

On setting the HB values for these alerts. I find the total space used can't, for me, go over 2047 GB and this gets translated to 2 TB on re-opening the window. If I set 2000 GB then this is translated to 1.95 TB, but I can't then set 2 TB. Something isn't right here.

And I'd like to have this alert available for my C2 task even though at the moment I've plenty of space available.

I've seen elsewhere in DSM/SRM that setting bandwidth limits will convert from one size unit to another, and tweaks the value on the way over. I wonder if some of this in HB is a hang-over from when storage sizes were much smaller and conversion bug has be introduced, or become a bug due to not upgrading all bits of the code.

On setting the HB values for these alerts. I find the total space used can't, for me, go over 2047 GB and this gets translated to 2 TB on re-opening the window. If I set 2000 GB then this is translated to 1.95 TB, but I can't then set 2 TB. Something isn't right here.

And I'd like to have this alert available for my C2 task even though at the moment I've plenty of space available.

You may be right that it's a conversion problem. They're making it a mod 2 boundary incorrectly or just screwing up.
I suspect this is what I call an off-the-peak feature (of usage bell curve) and so likely to be broken/buggy as not well tested. If we all complain maybe they'll decide it is an ON-the-peak feature and fix it.
Hey I can dream...

To my surprise, our friends at Synology provided me a patched HB (-1114) that FIXES the bug! It allows any decimal values on the Destination Sources tab and the Source Monitoring alerts can also be set.

They promise this patch will be included in the next release of Hyper Backup.

Hurray! !:)

Did they work it all by themselves or did you have to provide some guidance from our testing?
A little of both.
I impressed upon them the scope of the problem. They revealed they new about the decimal problem after I prodded them enough.

I have the same problem:
Backup to Synology C2 Cloud
Hyperbackup 2.2.2-1113

cat /etc/VERSION
majorversion="6"
minorversion="2"
productversion="6.2.2"
buildphase="GM"
buildnumber="24922"
smallfixnumber="4"
packing="official"
packing_id="18"
builddate="2019/10/30"

You need to either:
Get Hyperbackup 2.2.2-1114 (not 1113) from Synology tech support
or
Not use any decimals in your storage sizes.
Both worked for me.
Good luck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.