Can't set up Hyper Backup remote NAS backup.

Currently reading
Can't set up Hyper Backup remote NAS backup.

NAS
DS1815+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello,

I have a DS1815+ running DSM 7.0.1, that I would like to backup to a DS920+ running DSM 7.0.1.

I installed Hyper Backup Vault on the 920 and have it running, I created a shared folder on the 920 to store the backup files.

I open Hyper Backup on the 1815, select new data backup task, select remote NAS device. The 920 server IP populates, encryption off, port 6281. I fill out my log in to authenticate and nothing happens. I click on shared folder and it won't let me select anything. I try authentication again and nothing happens.

Both machines are on the same network.

Any help is appreciated.

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 5.36.08 PM.png

are there any enabled firewalls between the 1815+ and 920+ ?
Hi Coop, there are no firewalls in between the two Synology's.
-- post merged: --

Worth a check: there are permission rules, so the target folder on the 920 should have the same owner/username as the task in hyper backup on the source.
Hi, I checked all the permission rules and users/passwords, everything looks good.

Is 1.0.0.206 the proper IP of the other NAS? I doubt as it is in the public range of IP's
You should be at IP ranges:
  • Class A: 10.0. 0.0 — 10.255. 255.255.
  • Class B: 172.16. 0.0 — 172.31. 255.255.
  • Class C: 192.168. 0.0 — 192.168. 255.255.
So find out what the local IP from your destination nas is.

Then put the IP number in this HB screen

Then it is not correct that this dns goes to a HTTPS 5001 port, so not sure what you have setup but it is definitely not right

Both boxes are connected to our business internal network.
The source NAS is 1.0.0.100 and the destination NAS is 1.0.0.206.

Last edited:
The two IP belong to external IP range as issued by a provider, it is not a regular lan IP range.
Go to the whois.com and check, you will see this is a public IP and should/could not be issued locally, or can be regarded local lan.

I cannot help you here, you have to sort this out.
-- post merged: --

could it be that you are mistaken and it should be 10.0.0.206 ?

Gents:
1. You can choose a server name in the HB field in two possible ways:
a) manually written NAS name
b) based on automatic scanning of the LAN when you click into the field - when NAS is found you can chose the right one:
1641371226698.png

Question:
@CarnageAsada ..... did you enter the NAS name manually? Y/N
when not manually - could you pls make a screenshot from the proposed list of found NAS (when the NAS was found before you clicked it)

Also could you pls make a screenshot from:

2. Control panel / Network / Network Interface
Click to LAN or Bond (each of them) there and make screenshots. Paste results here.

and from

3. Control panel / Network / General

then we will find a workaround.

Hi Jeyare,

I finally got past where I was stuck!

When I would get to this part (view screenshot) I would select yes, then I would enter my log-in info. But It never logged me in and wouldn't show the shared folder on the destination NAS.

So this time I decided to select No, it asked me to log in. And it worked.

I'm backing up over 30TB as I type this. Thank you to everyone that helped!

1.png

Last edited:
good news success.

If there is one learning for me, it is that some internet providers do lease out a block of public IP numbers to an organisation, and your company is clearly one of these. Did not come across a situation like this before.
Thanks for this learning.

I read :

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.