Capacity not increasing after exchanging two drives

Currently reading
Capacity not increasing after exchanging two drives

Similar questions have been asked a few times, but none of the answers I could find were helpful in my case. I have a DS418j running DSM 7.0.1 with originally four 2TB drives, using SHR 1. I have now replaced two of those by 8TB drives (in two steps, with two repairs). However, capacity has not increased, and I don't know how to do it. The first screenshot illustrates the problem.

According to some help files from Synology, I should be able to do this via settings. However, the setting options I have for the Pool and for the Volume seem to not cover this (see screenshots).

I have done a reboot of the NAS, and I have performed data scrubbing.

I am grateful for any pointers here.

Attachments

• 2022-01-17 09_02_40-Diskstation2018 - Synology DiskStation - Vivaldi.png
    2022-01-17 09_02_40-Diskstation2018 - Synology DiskStation - Vivaldi.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 2022-01-17 09_16_22-Diskstation2018 - Synology DiskStation - Vivaldi.png
    2022-01-17 09_16_22-Diskstation2018 - Synology DiskStation - Vivaldi.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 2022-01-17 09_16_35-Diskstation2018 - Synology DiskStation - Vivaldi.png
    2022-01-17 09_16_35-Diskstation2018 - Synology DiskStation - Vivaldi.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 23
There should be an option in the Volume section (menus)
I saw a volume section in the Storage Manager in some screenshots while googling. However, I don't have that section. I have "Storage" > "Storage Pool 1" > "Volume 1", and there is a setting menu. This doesn't have anything relating to size though (see my screenshots).

Upvote 0
That page leaves me confused (I don't know much about this stuff).

If "For a single-volume storage pool" applies, then it talks about "adding drives to a storage pool" which I can't, as I have all my 4 drives already allocated to the storage pool.

If "For a multiple-volume storage pool" applies, then I don't know what the "Volume page" is supposed to be. I can not find any which let's me do what is described there (see my screenshots).

Upvote 0
From the first screenshot you attached it says 1-drive fault tolerance.
I don't believe you'd be able to increase the volume size until all drives are the same size (or above the 1.8TB they were originally) otherwise you won't have fault tolerance.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I'm simply going with the information from your screenshot that you have fault tolerance.
In your situation you can only be fault tolerant if the system can recover from any 1 drive failing.
For that to be the case you're stuck at the size of your smallest drive.
I'll head off and read about SHR now, but logically with the fault tolerance it can't be otherwise.
My apologies if I'm incorrect, I'm simply trying to help with the knowledge I have of RAID.

Ok, had a quick look, I see what they're doing and you are indeed correct.
If you click on the 3 dots to the right of your volume1 and select settings:
1642422284020.png

It should have the option to modify size, exactly as Rusty has said above:

1642422520947.png

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help here, it is appreciated. But I really think that for SHR you don't have this restriction which you have for standard RAID, but then again I might have misunderstood or missed something here

Upvote 0
I'm simply going with the information from your screenshot that you have fault tolerance.
In your situation you can only be fault tolerant if the system can recover from any 1 drive failing.
For that to be the case you're stuck at the size of your smallest drive.
I'll head off and read about SHR now, but logically with the fault tolerance it can't be otherwise.
My apologies if I'm incorrect, I'm simply trying to help with the knowledge I have of RAID.
With his current setup, SHR will always claim the largest drive in the array as the redundant drive. So 2+2+8+8 should give him a theoretical size of 12TB with one of the new 8TB being a redundant drive.

These image still show like it is giving him the same 3x1,8TB of usable space. Considering the size should have updated after the pool was expanded, it is a question if that process has completed so far.

Upvote 0
Yes, I was just wondering if it was still checking the new drive or something and won't offer the extra space until it has completed that process.

Upvote 0
space was very tight when I changed the drives, maybe it has to do with that? However, now I have cleaned up and space should be plenty overall...
Maybe someone has a CLI idea to force the pool expansion. Apart from that, I only have "crazy" ideas to grasp at, such as formatting one of the removed 2TB drives, and then swapping it with an installed 2TB and rebuild. Whether a single drive swap could trigger a pool expansion, I don't know.

However, I suspect the SHR is broken - and a Support ticket may be the best approach for now.

Upvote 0
Maybe someone has a CLI idea to force the pool expansion. Apart from that, I only have "crazy" ideas to grasp at, such as formatting one of the removed 2TB drives, and then swapping it with an installed 2TB and rebuild. Whether a single drive swap could trigger a pool expansion, I don't know.

However, I suspect the SHR is broken - and a Support ticket may be the best approach for now.
ok, thanks Telos for your assessment, I'll let you know how this plays out

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.