Catastrophe, support needed. Corrupt files across the board

Currently reading
Catastrophe, support needed. Corrupt files across the board

NAS
DS1813+
Last edited:
Hi, I am in quite a pickle. I was using Synology Drive Cloud Sync, to synchronize files with OneDrive. If I am correct, this process has caused mass file corruption and deletion. Let me explain what I mean by file corruption:

Suddenly most PDF’s can’t open. I get an error that the file is corrupted or what have you. Similarly, I am finding word and excel files that can’t be opened.

Specific to PDF’s, when I opened a couple of them with text editor, they say “CLOUD SYNC” at the top followed by some mumbo jumbo referring to an encryption key. So I don’t feel I’m out of line suggesting that Cloud Sync is the culprit. I was really surprised to find it was apparently intentionally altering the files. But while a major number of these occurred in the last several days, it appears there are other corrupt files going back weeks.
45076D26-34DD-4521-B0AC-E83C3F04346D.jpeg

And as I said, it appears To have been deleting a lot of files also.

And other problems include files/folders with long strings of numbers and letters and ending in $sshnew$ and $sshold$ There are files and folders that are duplicated and end in _1 but neither the original or duplicate can be opened.
D0A1DD2A-E638-44ED-9330-79B527F4AD4C.png

Anyway, waiting for Synology support has been a nightmare. They keep requesting a remote code, then missing the time before the code expires. Meanwhile this major corruption of files is causing a great deal of pain.

Is there a way to revert everything back in time, or another way to get all these files reverted to their previous form? One at a time will be a nightmare, because it’s thousands of messed up files.

Is there a way to revert everything back in time, or another way to get all these files reverted to their previous form?
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sorry about your current state, but do you have a backup of these data? It might be a fast and solid way to restore them that way.

Upvote 0
This may be caused by resync when you messed up with the encryption, i remember a similar issue and all files were restored as encrypted files in stead of normal.
did you change the encryption setting or restarted a new sync while one side was encrypted?

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.