Currently reading
Change SHR to SHR2 on new DS1821 w/ 5x 14 TB Drives

NAS
DS1821
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi I just purchased a new DS1821+ NAS and 5x 14TB drives. My intent was to use SHR2, However upon set-up I seem to have configured it to SHR. This took 24 hours.

I am now trying to find way to change the SHR configuration to SHR2. When I click onto my storage pool and chose "Change RAID Type" and choose SHR2 I get an error message saying "The number of drives currently in your Synology NAS is insufficient for changing the RAID Type to SHR2. Before you can proceed insert at least one drive that matches the following characteristics ~14 TB.

I am not sure what to do. I effectively want to start from scratch AND configure for SHR2. I am not concerned about data loss as I am still just setting up the NAS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank-you

Hi I just purchased a new DS1821+ NAS and 5x 14TB drives. My intent was to use SHR2, However upon set-up I seem to have configured it to SHR. This took 24 hours.

I am now trying to find way to change the SHR configuration to SHR2. When I click onto my storage pool and chose "Change RAID Type" and choose SHR2 I get an error message saying "The number of drives currently in your Synology NAS is insufficient for changing the RAID Type to SHR2. Before you can proceed insert at least one drive that matches the following characteristics ~14 TB.

I am not sure what to do. I effectively want to start from scratch AND configure for SHR2. I am not concerned about data loss as I am still just setting up the NAS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank-you
Just delete the volume and pool and start fresh. You will have 2-drive redundancy setup with 3 drive raw storage.

Upvote 0
I want 2x disc redundancy. Do just destroy the volumes and start over? How do I that and proceed with SHR2?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I want SHR2 as it is a media server. I will be backing it up manually as well. So on that basis what do I need to do to start over in my set-up? Do I simply chose my volume in the Storage Manager and remove/delete?

Thanks

Upvote 0
And to be clear I appreciate the feed back. I am just a little annoyed that I missed the default settings to set up using SHR1 during the set-up. I am assuming if I wanted to start over I would simply uninstall any software (Synology Drive Sever) and the remove the pool and simply start again and go through the prompts. This is the prompt I get when I try to remove the pool. I just don't want to mess anything up.
Storage Pool Removal Prompt.png

Upvote 0
And to be clear I appreciate the feed back. I am just a little annoyed that I missed the default settings to set up using SHR1 during the set-up
It’s quite hard to notice. Last time I rebuilt a NAS the question was related to performance, and pretty easy to miss that it really should be something like “How do you want to configure your drive storage?” with big bold text saying what the default will be.

You are far from alone in getting SHR-1, one volume in Btrfs (or ext4 if Btrfs is not supported). Mostly that’s ok for people but when you don’t you get to the end of setup wondering when you get to configure RAID.

Luckily, DSM is on its own partition on every drive, and separate from the storage pools/volumes. You can fix the storage setup in Storage Manager, as others have mentioned.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.