Changing firmware on a DS106e

Currently reading
Changing firmware on a DS106e

NAS
DS-106e
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have a DS106e which I've managed to convince it is a DS109j by upgrading it's firmware.

I'd like to try to get it to a DS109+ and am having some trouble convincing it to do so.

I've tried changing /etc/synoinfo.conf to that it reads "unique="synology_powerpc_109+" and then saved it. but when you go the DSM update utility, it still thinks it is a DS109j.

If I reboot, then /etc/synoinfo.conf again reads its old value of "unique="synology_powerpc_109j"

So this looks to me that this file is overwritten on boot and not read after I changed it.

Is there a way to prevent this from being overwritten on boot or to get it to refresh the data in the DSM update so that it reads the data after I've changed it.

Thanks

Hi,

I have a DS106e which I've managed to convince it is a DS109j by upgrading it's firmware.

I'd like to try to get it to a DS109+ and am having some trouble convincing it to do so.

I've tried changing /etc/synoinfo.conf to that it reads "unique="synology_powerpc_109+" and then saved it. but when you go the DSM update utility, it still thinks it is a DS109j.

If I reboot, then /etc/synoinfo.conf again reads its old value of "unique="synology_powerpc_109j"

So this looks to me that this file is overwritten on boot and not read after I changed it.

Is there a way to prevent this from being overwritten on boot or to get it to refresh the data in the DSM update so that it reads the data after I've changed it.

Thanks
hey cosmarchy did you get this resolved? I have the exact same problem with my DS209+, thinks its a DS210+

hey cosmarchy did you get this resolved? I have the exact same problem with my DS209+, thinks its a DS210+

Hi there,
Unfortunately I have not managed to get this done as I'm assuming it is either not possible or no-one knows how to...

Did you find any solution at the end? I have the same issue...
I am thinking to export the synoinfo.conf to a pc, edit it and import back to the nas.
My issue is that I can only use Telnet via port 23...and not sure how can I export / import or download / upload the file...

It's so long since I used telnet that I don't know the answer to this ... is there a text editor that is available via telnet? If there is then you could open a file using it and paste in text from the Mac/PC to the current insertion point. Similarly just highlight text in the editor window and copy it using the Mac/PC commands.

Afair, some files in /etc get replaced on reboot from files in /etc.defaults/. I would suggest to make your modification in /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf and /etc/synoinfo.conf to be sure they remain persistent and not get lost after a reboot of the NAS.

While the DS106e/DS109j uses aFreescale PowerPC (ppc_6xx) architecture with a MPC8241 cpu, the DS109+ uses a Freescale PowerPC (e500v*) architecture with a MPC8533 cpu. Even though both use Freescale PowerPC architectures, they are not the same architecture. Upgrading to the DS109+ firmware may or more likely may not work.

My issue is that I can only use Telnet via port 23...and not sure how can I export / import or download / upload the file...
Is there a reason that prevents you from enabling ssh from the ui?

What would the benefit be of tricking your nas into something it isn’t? Personally I don’t see any benefits because the hardware has its limitations. Could be wrong but that’s what I think about it. ;)

Afair, some files in /etc get replaced on reboot from files in /etc.defaults/. I would suggest to make your modification in /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf and /etc/synoinfo.conf to be sure they remain persistent and not get lost after a reboot of the NAS.

While the DS106e/DS109j uses aFreescale PowerPC (ppc_6xx) architecture with a MPC8241 cpu, the DS109+ uses a Freescale PowerPC (e500v*) architecture with a MPC8533 cpu. Even though both use Freescale PowerPC architectures, they are not the same architecture. Upgrading to the DS109+ firmware may or more likely may not work.

Is there a reason that prevents you from enabling ssh from the ui?
yes, the UI is unreachable hence its in DSM update / re-install mode. only port 23 gets open (only after syno assistant runs and tries to do the update, but it can't due to version mismatch). with port 23 I can only connect via Telnet, but view only...so I can see in /etc.defaults the value I suppose to change but can't change it.
For SSH I would need port 22 open, but its closed....so looks like the NAS is a Brick now :(
-- post merged: --

It's so long since I used telnet that I don't know the answer to this ... is there a text editor that is available via telnet? If there is then you could open a file using it and paste in text from the Mac/PC to the current insertion point. Similarly just highlight text in the editor window and copy it using the Mac/PC commands.
in Telnet, I can display only , looks like no changes allowed. I could use VI command to edit but in SSH mode only which requires port 22, and that is closed...only port 23 open which is for Telnet only....
So I can see that a value in /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf is wrong but I can't change it...looks like the NAS is a Brick now...:(

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.