Changing RAID Type From SHR-1 To SHR-2

Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Hi There!

Looking at changing my RAID Type from SHR-1 to SHR-2 since I have a 12 Bay NAS and obviously have the option to expand that to 24 Bays with an expansion unit. Figure I should make the change now before I get more & bigger HDD. Hopefully won't take as long.

Currently have Drives in Bay 1 - 10 in SHR-1 RAID Configuration. So I have 2 Open bays at this point.

My question is do you always need to add 1 or 2 "New" Drives to convert Raid Type or do you just need enough Unused Drive Space on your Storage Pool / Volume to convert?

Thanks

I haven't done this, but believe you simply add another drive and then expand it. Be aware that this will take a long time and will stress the entire array while the change occurs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.