Currently reading
Changing Stuff

NAS
DS1019+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi, ive a DS1019+ with four WD30EFRX 3TB drives in RAID5, I’m thinking of adding a Seagate ST4000VN008 4TB drive and changing to SHR, would this work ok, asking as I’m new to Synolgy NAS

The link provided by @Telos has the supported migration options for going between RAID types...

Only certain RAID types can be changed to other RAID types. For example, RAID 1 can be changed to RAID 5, but RAID 5 cannot be changed to RAID 1. Please refer to the table below for details.
Current RAID TypePossible Conversion Target TypeAdditional Number of Drives Required
BasicRAID 11
BasicRAID 52
RAID 1RAID 51
RAID 5RAID 61
SHR-1SHR-21 or 2 (depending on the drive configuration of SHR)

Unfortunately you will have to backup the NAS's data etc., delete the RAID 5, and then create the new SHR-1 RAID. Also you will only be able to access 3TB of the Seagate's 4TB as you have to have two disks of the biggest size to realise the full capacity.

I understand now that I’ll have to delete the RAID 5 and install SHR, when I checked on how to do this, I noticed change raid type was greyed out in storage manager, i understand that I’d loose 1TB installing one 4TB drive, but if i install two, SHR will use all the new drives space ? I didn’t know that one.

If you rebuild with 3x 3TB and 2x 4TB then you'll have a usable 14TB SHR-1 RAID. Whereas 4x 3TB and 1x 4TB results in 12TB.

But you can't start with with, e.g. 2 disks, with big TB and then expand with smaller TB disks: this just isn't supported.

You do have another option if you don't mind that the extra disk won't have any RAID protection: add the 4TB disk to the NAS and create a new Storage Pool of one disk using either SHR-1, Basic, or JBOD. If this disk fails then the data is gone, unless you back it up.

Depends what you want to store on it. I'm in the process of, finally, decommissioning a very old Iomega/Lenovo NAS used just for Time Machine and I've a spare 3TB WD that can go in the new DSM NAS. It's now new a JBOD single disk RAID (in case I want to expand it later ... I won't) and will be Time Machine until I decide what to do long term. But for me TM is not important in my backup process so this one disk RAID is ok to fail.

If you rebuild with 3x 3TB and 2x 4TB then you'll have a usable 14TB SHR-1 RAID. Whereas 4x 3TB and 1x 4TB results in 12TB.

But you can't start with with, e.g. 2 disks, with big TB and then expand with smaller TB disks: this just isn't supported.

You do have another option if you don't mind that the extra disk won't have any RAID protection: add the 4TB disk to the NAS and create a new Storage Pool of one disk using either SHR-1, Basic, or JBOD. If this disk fails then the data is gone, unless you back it up.

Depends what you want to store on it. I'm in the process of, finally, decommissioning a very old Iomega/Lenovo NAS used just for Time Machine and I've a spare 3TB WD that can go in the new DSM NAS. It's now new a JBOD single disk RAID (in case I want to expand it later ... I won't) and will be Time Machine until I decide what to do long term. But for me TM is not important in my backup process so this one disk RAID is ok to fail.
Sounds good, ive checked on the Synology RAID calculator, and using SHR, 3 x3TB plus two 4TB gives 13TB useable with 4TB for protection, but using one HDD in bod just for TM seems a interesting idea, one of my external backup USB drives has now disappeared from file station and Finder on my Mac ! but it shows up in control panel, external devices ??

LOL, I do to, I may try the JBOD idea for TM, I keep trying TM to my RAID array but have problems, the only consistent thing I can use for TM is a USB drive in my iMac, ive solved the USB problem, ejected the "missing" drive in control panel, removed the USB plug for a minute, inserted, came back straight away, with no data loss ! (y) [thank god !] thanks guys for your help

I'm Bonjour advertising TM only on AFP. There was a fair amount of comments about Catalina's SMB support that I'm sticking with AFP for this task.

1601467351384.png

@David James Just FYI... but it's best to open a new thread when changing the topic. And provide a useful thread title (not "Changing Stuff") so it attracts folks who can help, and so others with similar issues can search for solutions to their needs.

Here we've gone from "Migrating from RAID 5 to SHR", to "Time Machine won't connect". Quite different from "Changing Stuff". Cheers!

@David James Just FYI... but it's best to open a new thread when changing the topic. And provide a useful thread title (not "Changing Stuff") so it attracts folks who can help, and so others with similar issues can search for solutions to their needs.

Here we've gone from "Migrating from RAID 5 to SHR", to "Time Machine won't connect". Quite different from "Changing Stuff". Cheers!
Ok, sorry, I’m new to Synology and this forum, I’ll definitely post new of my next question 👍
Normally macOS will display an alert to say something such as, paraphrasing: the TM destination is unavailable; the TM archive needs some maintenance [which is code for 'delete the current backup archive and start again'].
I started a new TM backup to my DS a while ago, not failed yet, on over 200gb with 3 hours to go best yet, I remember it keeps saying something about having to start a new backup

so, I then started another TM backup to my DS, had to let it carry on overnight, reached over 250GB last time I looked, this morning it still hadn't completed its first backup, got this message "TM completed a verification of your backups on cloudnine.local. to improve reliability you must create a new backup"
I get this every time from my DS, ill just delete all TM backups and settings and try agin ?

An old post but I have followed it once or two a long while ago.

Having just migrated TM to a DSM NAS I don't have much experience on how reliable it is longterm. With the old NAS I got the verification error alert on a Mac every few months, I think. Less so when not using user quotas, or that may have been a coincidence.

thanks for the link, but looks a little complicated, but ill keep it in mind, as ive recently got my DS, ill try Synology support to see if the can help, should do ??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.