Chromecast not available as player in Video Station (on PC)

Currently reading
Chromecast not available as player in Video Station (on PC)

NAS
DS418
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
Hi

I'm new to Synology and Video Station so forgive me if this is a foolish question.

In Video Station (launched from DSM) i cannot see my chromecast as a player option. I can, however, see my WDTVLive box, but not the chromecast. (I can see the chromecast and WDTVLive in the Android app DS Video as player options)

I've setup the NAS with all my files in specific user defined shared folders (not the standard video folder) and as far i can tell all the permissions are correct. I am using the same user in both the DSM on the PC and the Android app.

Movies and TV Shows are indexed and show up in Video Station and play in the browser

My questions? How to enable chromecast as a player option in Video Station on the PC.

Thanks

NAS
DS418
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Further update . . .

I have discovered "Device List" in Media Server. AS you probably know, all devices the NAS finds show up there. But my Chromecast IP does not.. Clicking "Reset" does not discover the chromecast.

FYI NAS is DS418, Chromecast is na2-6a5 (Second edition i beleive). Accoring to Compatibility List | Synology Inc. it should be compatible

Still looking for an answer please

NAS
DS418
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Update . . .

I contacted Synology technical departmnent. Their response was the following when asked why casting via Video Station to Chromecast doesnt work

"It is a security feature of the Chromecast operating system that blocks the connection."

I find this hard to beleive since Synology advertises compatibility.

Do others have similar experiences?

Thanks

www.adrianearnshaw.com
NAS
1819+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
After a quick internet search it looks as though you could cast to your Chromecast back in 2013/14. However, a security update in 2018 seems to have blocked the facility.

It looks like the Synology app has kept pace and they have failed to update their webpage. I'm not surprised really as a lot of their, what I would term, fringe apps get little love.

fredbert

NAS Support
Subscriber
NAS
DS1520+, DS218+, DS215j
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
@AdrianEarnshaw you mean like Audio Station's issue with AirPlay 2 and iTunes Server not being updated to support Catalina's split up of iTunes. All updates driven by Apple where Synology have subsequently lagged updating.

www.adrianearnshaw.com
NAS
1819+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
@fredbert yes, audio station needs some desperate love but cannot see it happening unfortunately.

I am slowly moving everything I have off the cloud to my little Synology. What's slowing things down is finding ways to integrate everything like Google's apps are. Yes there is docker and I have plenty of things running in their but again, they are all separate rather than feeding into each other.

Nextcloud is another outlet but it really runs sluggish on the Synology.

Apologies on hijacking the thread.

NAS
DS418
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback gents.

That's disapointing about the chromecast. I purchased the NAS to replace my iOmega NAS and WDTV Live combination for media streaming (among other things).

My WDTV Live doesnt see windows shares since it's SMB1 so that option goes out the window.

At least the android app allows casting.

The local synology tech dept has (so they say) elevated the question to the guys in Taiwan. Let' see what comes back.

Thanks
(no worries about the "hijack". Thanks for helping)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads