Chromecast not available as player in Video Station (on PC)

Currently reading
Chromecast not available as player in Video Station (on PC)

NAS
DS418
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:
Hi

I'm new to Synology and Video Station so forgive me if this is a foolish question.

In Video Station (launched from DSM) i cannot see my chromecast as a player option. I can, however, see my WDTVLive box, but not the chromecast. (I can see the chromecast and WDTVLive in the Android app DS Video as player options)

I've setup the NAS with all my files in specific user defined shared folders (not the standard video folder) and as far i can tell all the permissions are correct. I am using the same user in both the DSM on the PC and the Android app.

Movies and TV Shows are indexed and show up in Video Station and play in the browser

My questions? How to enable chromecast as a player option in Video Station on the PC.

Thanks

Further update . . .

I have discovered "Device List" in Media Server. AS you probably know, all devices the NAS finds show up there. But my Chromecast IP does not.. Clicking "Reset" does not discover the chromecast.

FYI NAS is DS418, Chromecast is na2-6a5 (Second edition i beleive). Accoring to Compatibility List | Synology Inc. it should be compatible

Still looking for an answer please

Update . . .

I contacted Synology technical departmnent. Their response was the following when asked why casting via Video Station to Chromecast doesnt work

"It is a security feature of the Chromecast operating system that blocks the connection."

I find this hard to beleive since Synology advertises compatibility.

Do others have similar experiences?

Thanks

After a quick internet search it looks as though you could cast to your Chromecast back in 2013/14. However, a security update in 2018 seems to have blocked the facility.

It looks like the Synology app has kept pace and they have failed to update their webpage. I'm not surprised really as a lot of their, what I would term, fringe apps get little love.

@fredbert yes, audio station needs some desperate love but cannot see it happening unfortunately.

I am slowly moving everything I have off the cloud to my little Synology. What's slowing things down is finding ways to integrate everything like Google's apps are. Yes there is docker and I have plenty of things running in their but again, they are all separate rather than feeding into each other.

Nextcloud is another outlet but it really runs sluggish on the Synology.

Apologies on hijacking the thread.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback gents.

That's disapointing about the chromecast. I purchased the NAS to replace my iOmega NAS and WDTV Live combination for media streaming (among other things).

My WDTV Live doesnt see windows shares since it's SMB1 so that option goes out the window.

At least the android app allows casting.

The local synology tech dept has (so they say) elevated the question to the guys in Taiwan. Let' see what comes back.

Thanks
(no worries about the "hijack". Thanks for helping)

Have you received a solution to this issue ?

I have the same problem on a DS1019+. Can not see the Chromecast (nor a DLNA equipped TV) in the Remote Player list.

I can see both in the Remote Player list from an older DS1511+.

Have just about given up to the point of installing a FireTV stick on the TV to be able to view NAS stored media.

Thanks

No solution in the traditional sence of "here's how you cast to chromecast via video station"

Feedback from Synology Tech is that cast to chromecast can't happen directly from video station.

Their solution . . .
  • Play the media in Video station on the PC
  • Then cast the Chrome Tab to ChromeCast using the Chromecast button on Chrome
Not a perfect solution but it gets you there.

Disapointing given that Video Station is advertised with the ability to cast to chromecast

but there you have it . . . . .

You could use Jellyfin/Emby/Plex instead of Video Station. (I've used all 3 with my Chromecast)
I use Jellyfin myself, however Emby and Plex have Synology packages if docker is "too scary" or requires too much effort.

No solution in the traditional sence of "here's how you cast to chromecast via video station"

Feedback from Synology Tech is that cast to chromecast can't happen directly from video station.

Their solution . . .
  • Play the media in Video station on the PC
  • Then cast the Chrome Tab to ChromeCast using the Chromecast button on Chrome
Not a perfect solution but it gets you there.

Disapointing given that Video Station is advertised with the ability to cast to chromecast

but there you have it . . . . .
Glad you got a response from Synology.
So by way of background, I have had a DS1511+ running on the wired house network for several years. There are two managed switches in the path from this unit and the ASUS router. The TV [Sony Bravia] is on the wired network also on a managed switch.
I have [and can right now] use DS Video on an iPhone [on the 2.4GHz wireless from the ASUS router] to connect to Video Station running on the DS1511+ and select the media to play and Remote Player as the Sony Bravia --> then use the iPhone as the remote for the media playing.

Recently decided to retire the DS1511+ [CPU and memory] in favor of a DS1019+. Used Hyper Backup to create a 'transfer file [1511] and restored this to the 1019 - users, configs, data, apps. Doing integrity checks discovered that DS Video on the same iPhone used before connected to the 1019 Video Station could no longer 'see' the Sony Bravia as a Remote Player.

Switch the login back to the 1511 and everything works as it is supposed to.
Reinstall DS Video on iPhone - not fixed
Reinstall Video Station on the 1019 - not fixed
Fiddled with various settings on the ASUS router [IGMP snooping, UPNP enabled, etc] - not fixed

So, installed and setup a Firestick TV on the Sony TV and installed the DS Video app and voila - I can now watch DS1019+ stored media over the network on the Sony Bravia TV.

That was fun, but hey got the chance to check out all the wired network stuff and settings on switches and router and such.

Would still be interesting to find out the difference DS1511+ vs DS1019+ [hardware, software, setting] involved incase it impacts other packages.

Back to RW teleworking

With Hyper Backup there are some configuration settings that are not carried over: have a look at the Knowledgebase and it details what is and isn't. So it could very well be that there are some settings that you've accrued on the DS1511+ that need to be reapplied or, I wonder, that over time and DSM updates things have been set that are no longer accessible.

But it's definitely worth doing a side-by-side browser session of the DSMs on the DS1511+ and DS1019+. See if you can find a non-obvious setting :)

Hi
This is helpful, pretty rubbish from Synology though advertising with chromecast when it doesn't work.
Can anyone help me with which similar products are supported? Eg firestick, roku etc?
Thanks in advance
J

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back