Question Cleaning up user groups

Currently reading
Question Cleaning up user groups

NAS
DS4l8play, DS202j, DS3623xs+, DSM 7.3.3-25847
At the risk of making changes that may have unknown downstream effects, I was curious about two user group assignments I failed to document.
  1. I have a user group "video" which, as far as I can tell, only contains the user Plex. I suspect this is something I dreamt up some time ago but was curious if this is a feature/requirement of Plex installation. Initially, I plan to drop Plex from this group, with the intention of ultimately deleting this group. Am I overlooking anything here?
  2. My administrator account also belongs to the http group. I understand this is not a default setting, so it's likely something I added in response to a package I installed. Since my NAS is basically a plain vanilla install with Plex, Docker, WebDAV, CalDAV, CardDAV... I wondered if anyone here might know why my administrator account would be assigned to the http group... assuming it wasn't an arbitrary thing I did.
Thanks for any feedback

Am I overlooking anything here?
Just went to check on this, and to my surprise, I also have a video group that the Plex account is a member of. I know I didn't make the group or add a plex user to it, so I would not do it if I were you. Also, I have confirmed this on multiple Plex servers that I have.

My administrator account also belongs to the HTTP group
I have also checked this and my admin account (on top of that it is disabled) is not a member of the HTTP group.

Odd thing is that the "video" group to which Plex belongs has no rights assignment. It's unclear why that group exists, and why Plex is part of that. Unless Synology set that up thinking a video group would be for those who have access to the video shared folder.

O the mystery of it all.

The "video" group does not exist on my system AND I have never installed Plex. It seems likely that an installation script created that group.

Yep... from the Plex spk (Package Center & plex.tv sourced)...

3EiJyx6.png

v3F9gxy.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.