Currently reading
Client side manual "backup" button

NAS
DS1019+, DS1621+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I am not sure If I am crazy, but I swear there was an option within the ABB client to click a "backup now" button to manually fire off a backup. I contacted synology support but they stated that "manual" schedule only allows you to fire off a backup from the admin portal interface. Is there a manual option that exists from the client side?

Solution
Well I tried on my home NAS but did not see the option. Maybe at some point I confused ABB and Synology drive in my head and thought it existed in ABB as well. I am going to submit a feature request if possible though. But I guess this is the answer to my question. Thanks for the help @fredbert
This is the response I get from Synology Support. But I am positive I have seen a button to manually start backups on the client side in the past.

Attachments

• 2021-10-19 10_14_38-Window.png
    2021-10-19 10_14_38-Window.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 0
Hm.. Maybe I am crazy. I swear I saw it when I was testing it out on my DS1019+
It even states users should be able to manually start a backup in their manual. (attached)
Unless I am misinterpreting this, or there is another method the user can start the backup.
-- post merged: --

I don't recall there being a backup method that's available on the ABB client. The nearest thing is to configure a backup to trigger on lock/unlock then do just that on the PC to force a backup.
See my message in the thread, meant to reply to you.

Attachments

• 2021-10-19 13_56_01-Administrator's Guide for Synology Active Backup for Business 2.2.0 - Wind...png
    2021-10-19 13_56_01-Administrator's Guide for Synology Active Backup for Business 2.2.0 - Wind...png
    28.6 KB · Views: 48
Upvote 0
I assumed that Help description meant you had to initiate from the NAS.
I mean its meant for a business environment. How would a User initiate a backup from the NAS itself? I'll end up testing at home but I am just surprised that it would not be a button for the user to initiate themselves.
-- post merged: --

I'll test out tonight when I am home to see if there really was a button or not. I might be wrong about that. If this is not a current feature of Synology's ABB client though, I think it would make more sense for there to be a manual button on the users end instead of on the NAS for the admin. No reason to set a "manual" schedule at that point.

Upvote 0
Well I tried on my home NAS but did not see the option. Maybe at some point I confused ABB and Synology drive in my head and thought it existed in ABB as well. I am going to submit a feature request if possible though. But I guess this is the answer to my question. Thanks for the help @fredbert

Attachments

• synoscreenshot.png
    synoscreenshot.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 42
Upvote 0
Solution
I have a workaround solution for this. Our road warriors use always-on vpn that also provides them connectivity to the ABB server. But they are often on slow or expensive mobile data plans and need to control the backup process. But as you know there is no "backup now" button on ABB client.

Solution:

Maybe you didn't know but latest missed scheduled backup tasks execute as soon as it is possbile (computer turned on, network connectivity between client and server established). This means that if we can control client network connectivity to server, we can control backup execution.

One option is to mess with hosts file on client by adding ABB server fqdn pointing to localhost. The other is by inserting wrong route to the ip of the ABB server. I guess there are others, use you imagination.

But how can we allow regular users (non-admins) to mess with hosts file or routes? Quite simply:

- create a new application event log source (example: New-EventLog -LogName Application -Source ABBBackupEnabler)
- create two scheduled tasks (BackupON, BackupOFF) that are tied to two specific application log events (source, ID) and execute the scripts/commands that mess with route or hosts file
- create two shortcuts on users desktops (BackupON, BackupOFF) that generate the needed events (example: C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -Command "Write-EventLog -LogName Application -Source ABBBackupEnabler -EntryType Information -Message '"Enable ABB Backup"' -EventId 1")

Upvote 0
I have a workaround solution for this. Our road warriors use always-on vpn that also provides them connectivity to the ABB server. But they are often on slow or expensive mobile data plans and need to control the backup process. But as you know there is no "backup now" button on ABB client.

Solution:

Maybe you didn't know but latest missed scheduled backup tasks execute as soon as it is possbile (computer turned on, network connectivity between client and server established). This means that if we can control client network connectivity to server, we can control backup execution.

One option is to mess with hosts file on client by adding ABB server fqdn pointing to localhost. The other is by inserting wrong route to the ip of the ABB server. I guess there are others, use you imagination.

But how can we allow regular users (non-admins) to mess with hosts file or routes? Quite simply:

- create a new application event log source (example: New-EventLog -LogName Application -Source ABBBackupEnabler)
- create two scheduled tasks (BackupON, BackupOFF) that are tied to two specific application log events (source, ID) and execute the scripts/commands that mess with route or hosts file
- create two shortcuts on users desktops (BackupON, BackupOFF) that generate the needed events (example: C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -Command "Write-EventLog -LogName Application -Source ABBBackupEnabler -EntryType Information -Message '"Enable ABB Backup"' -EventId 1")
This is that IT operations out of the box thinking! :D Nice one!

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.