Clone file and folder date modified data when copying to NAS

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello All

Newbie here. Just purchased my first NAS. My DS220+ is setup as Raid 1 with DSM 7.
Having trouble maintaining the date of files and folders during migration.

How do I copy all my files and folders from my current drive, while maintaining the date modified for all files and folders?

I've tried through Windows and all directories are the updated with the current date. Putting the HDD in a USB 3 case and connecting direct, USB Copy utility doesn't keep the folder dates.

All I want is a simple way to clone my current data HDD to my NAS and clone all file and folder created/modified times, so it is an exact copy.

Could someone please provide some guidance, as I can't seem to work it out.

Many thanks

The current drive is in a USB3 case connected directly to the NAS. Do I need to put it back in the computer and run rsync? Just a bit confused. I'd prefer from the USB3 if I could as it's much faster. Thanks for replying.

The current drive is in a USB3 case connected directly to the NAS. Do I need to put it back in the computer and run rsync? Just a bit confused. I'd prefer from the USB3 if I could as it's much faster. Thanks for replying.
You can do it while it is connected to the nas. Use SSH or Task Scheduler (Control Panel) to set up an rsync job, and let it run.

I a noob when it comes to this ATM. I'm struggling to work this out. Could you please be more specific in your instructions? How do I setup this job, so I don't need to have my PC on? Are you able to provide a list of steps and command? I'd be greatly appreciative.

P.S. I purchased the NAS after my WD My Book Essential 3TB died this week, followed by a an internal Seagate 3TB. I managed to recover almost everything from the Seagate. It's not been my week!

Last edited:
Someone messaged me asking if I found a solution. I ended up using File Station app on the server. Plugged the USB drive directly into the server. Copied everything perfectly and kept all dates of files and folders perfectly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.