Question Cloud Backup Service - Geographic Risk Mitigation

Currently reading
Question Cloud Backup Service - Geographic Risk Mitigation

D

Deleted member 673

Is it common for cloud-based backup services like Synology C2 to store data in a single location (vs. multiple data centers spread across geographically diverse locations)?

I had an interesting exchange with Synology about their new C2 service based in Seattle, Washington, USA. They advised that both Seattle and Frankfurt C2 rely on a single data center at each site; with no cross-site or alternate-site sharing. Unfortunately, I live on the Olympic Peninsula - rural area about 100 miles northwest of Seattle - close enough that we share risks from volcanic activity (e.g. Mt. Saint Helens in 1980) - as well as a common threat from earthquake and tsunami. When I discussed this with Synology, they advised that I consider Frankfurt C2; but I am reluctant (not familiar with other risks inherent in crossing geo-political jurisdictions).

Are there other Synology-friendly U.S. based cloud services that offer geographic diversity with their data centers? We will be storing less than ~250GB on the cloud with typically less than 1GB added/changed data, daily.

Thanks for comments/suggestions. Ron

Frankfurt C2 is a possibility. I would just need to understand and document any risks in crossing geopolitical jurisdictions. However, either C2 service is hosted at a single physical location; which was a concern for the data's owners.

In my long-ago corporate life, my employer maintained several geographically diverse backup locations to mitigate risk from natural disasters, civil unrest, etc. Fast forward to 2020... I was surprised to learn that geographic diversity is not offered with C2. And curious to know if that type of diversity is offered by any other U.S. based cloud services.

this kind of service you can ask from big ISP, they have lot of their solutions. Also here in Central Europe lot of midsized companies can provide such services.

Prior to GDRP there was a move towards implementing activity reporting and data protections that were compliant with German law. This was for tech providers that wanted address businesses that had a distributed footprint with a standard set of services: any that had German workers/sites would have to be compliant ergo it's easier to make the same for all.

Given that US has previous in claiming the use of a .com domain (via US domain service?) entitles them legal jurisdiction over the service using it, regardless of nationality of the registered owner or the location of the servers, then I'd opt for C2 Frankfurt over Seattle.

As for resilient backup services then that would mean a google trawl for each service. AWS/Amazon S3 say they have the network connectivity to do this but I haven't checked how easy it is to enable. It would have to be doable through simple portal settings. Google: <service name> resilient backup locations

For my usage scenario then C2 Frankfurt is the final stage in my backup: RAID for availability; local full backup; offsite C2 for important stuff.

I suspect that Synology C2 is based on AWS using virtualised DSM and Hyper Backup with load balancers. It is probable that this isn't fully suited for dual/multi-site resilient operation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.