Cloud Station Backup or Time Machine?

Currently reading
Cloud Station Backup or Time Machine?

I heard Time Machine has some issues over the nework but is this True? How are people managing their backup from mac? Whata bout using Cloud Station Backup? Also Do some people use both Drive and a Time Machine backup on the same NAS? (I own a RS819)

both of them are different from target usage point of view:
- Time Machine backup is backup of entire Mac or specified folders (excluding)
- Syno Drive is just a "backup" (managed one way sync is better characteristic) of specified folders. There is no possible entire machine backup feature (file system, partitions).

Said this somewhere before, what I do:
  • Time Machine on Mac boot disk (not externals) to an old NAS (Lenovo ix2). Every so often the TM archive needs to be restarted following some issue. Hardly never used it.
  • Just because it can, I have some user account folders (traditional ~/Documents etc) using Syno Drive Backup ... never needed it.
  • Multiple clone backups of boot disks to external devices

And also I've been moving more to using Drive and NAS storage which has its own backup schedule.

Time Machine on Mac boot disk (not externals) to an old NAS (Lenovo ix2). Every so often the TM archive needs to be restarted following some issue. Hardly never used it.
you mean that intermittent network issue that corrupt the drive or something like it? Yes I had that also on the old synology nas DS216+II . I am not sure what to do with it. The advantage of time machine is beeing able to go back on file level to an old version though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.