Cloud Station Backup, selecting folders to backup

Currently reading
Cloud Station Backup, selecting folders to backup

NAS
1515+
Ok posting in here since I could not find the Cloud Station Backup section.

Using Cloud Station Backup, and when selecting folders to backup there is a folder that for some reason is not showing up to select. That folder is located under the %APPDATA% folder the path would be
%AppData% \Roaming\Microsoft\Signatures

The “Microsoft” folder does not show up for some reason so there is no way to backup the “Signatures” folder in there for outlook

AppData (include) contains hidden structure. Then you have answer based on Cloud (same in Drive) Backup KB.
Then if you like to see this folder structure also for others backup purpose, you have to change the Hidden status by Explorer.

AppData (include) contains hidden structure. Then you have answer based on Cloud (same in Drive) Backup KB.
Then if you like to see this folder structure also for others backup purpose, you have to change the Hidden status by Explorer.

Tried all this ...I can see it finein the computer, the backup client in Cloud station can NOT see the folder.. no matter what I do, even if I make them visible..

check your attribute of folder or file by command (replace "xxx" by your User name)
attribute C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft

the you will see probably this output:
S

what means, that the folder has SYSTEM attribute, then you can't use such folder (or file) for the backup by SynoClou/Drive tool, because it is written in Syno KB:

The following file types and drive types are not supported in Drive backup task:
Windows mounted drives
Windows shortcuts
Mac alias
Windows symbolic links
Hidden files

Windows folders with these attributes:
REPARSE_POINT
SYSTEM
TEMPORARY

Solution for your problem:
use same command: attribute to set/clear an attribute

check your attribute of folder or file by command (replace "xxx" by your User name)
attribute C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft

the you will see probably this output:
S

what means, that the folder has SYSTEM attribute, then you can't use such folder (or file) for the backup by SynoClou/Drive tool, because it is written in Syno KB:

The following file types and drive types are not supported in Drive backup task:
Windows mounted drives
Windows shortcuts
Mac alias
Windows symbolic links
Hidden files

Windows folders with these attributes:
REPARSE_POINT
SYSTEM
TEMPORARY

Solution for your problem:
use same command: attribute to set/clear an attribute

Correct me if I am wrong please , does this just set the attrib to the files and NOT the folder?
So in theory you still cannot see the folder ?

one small correction use attrib command instead attribute

1. Use the parameter -s to Clears the system attribute in file or folder, it doesn't matter what kind of type of source
2. Use the parameter /s to execute whatever file attribute display or changes you're making on the subfolders within whatever drive and/or path you've specified, or those within the folder you're executing from if you don't specify a drive or path.
An example:
attrib -s /s C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft
will erase SYSTEM parameter from folder structure C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft

Check in Drive client Backup Task:
1571322924414.png

Now your Backup task SOURCE (restricted till now) is ready for standard Source selection and for the Backup performing. Tested, works.

you can use also parameter -d
This attrib option includes directories, not only files, to whatever you're executing. You can only use /d with /s

Still there is need a final check:
- how many folders/files in the source
- how many in the backup side
in Win world no one knows :), specially in attributes. Then you need check missing files/folders for the SYSTEM attribute

you can use also parameter -d
This attrib option includes directories, not only files, to whatever you're executing. You can only use /d with /s

Still there is need a final check:
- how many folders/files in the source
- how many in the backup side
in Win world no one knows :), specially in attributes. Then you need check missing files/folders for the SYSTEM attribute

I must be doing something wrong it will not work for me.. Shooting myself in foot

Hi there,

I try to sync a subfolder
c:\Prorgramdata\opencpn

under Windows 10

I used
attrib -s /D /S c:\programdata\opencpn

But I cannot see the folder in drive client

Any idea?

many thx

Attachments

• Bild 09.01.21 um 18.58.jpg
    Bild 09.01.21 um 18.58.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 94
jeyare thx for answer.
perhaps I did something wrong, but this did not work.
I have a screenshot attached.

run cmd as admin
see attrib commands in screenshot

Attachments

• Unbenannt.PNG
    Unbenannt.PNG
    31.3 KB · Views: 169
  • Unbenannt2.PNG
    Unbenannt2.PNG
    31.7 KB · Views: 167
instead of PrgramData folder use this one:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming
here you can find your Chart plotter navi sys folder

then you can repeat attrib follow my recommendation

unfortunately in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming there is no opencpn folder.

But I have found one in C:\Users\All users\AppData\Roaming

Using attrib as described, but folder is not shown in drive client

Last edited:
For some app you have question during an installation process - when the App will be available just for you or all users?

So back to your strange issue.
I can replicate recommend steps in my computer, all of these System/Hidden folders are now available for Drive. And I can see them in the Drive client for the Sync.

Are you sure, that you have admin privileges in this account?
-- post merged: --

1610548108243.png

first off all many thanks for your assistance!

Today I start with a clean new Windows 10 install.

- I am logged in with admin rights
- start CMD with "running as admin" option
- attrib -S -H /D /S c:\programdata\opencpn
- open drive client

without success.

I really don't know what I am doing wrong.

Attachments

• Bild 18.01.21 um 14.31.jpg
    Bild 18.01.21 um 14.31.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Bild 18.01.21 um 14.32.jpg
    Bild 18.01.21 um 14.32.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 67
Hey guys, brand new here. Not trying to be a spoiler, and I like this post a lot. I am transfering data from an older WIndows Surface Pro to a newer HP Spectre x360 and am using Cloud Station Backup to my DS220+, and I'm.... not having any problems seeing and backing up the system folders like AppData etc. They're just showing up like regular folders, and I click on the root folder (my username, in this case) and it selects all the subfolders, such as AppData, and Local, LocalRow, Roaming, etc.

I know that doesn't help you, but I read this post and really liked it, got ready to do all the attribute changes like you guys suggested, opened up my Cloud Station Backup and... the folders were there.

Do you think its a software version issue? Maybe a Synology hardware/firmware issue?

I'm using a relatively new DS 220+ purchased 1 mo ago off Amazon, and the stats are:
DS220+: INTEL Celeron J4025, CPU 2Ghz, 2 cores, 2GB Phys mem, DSM Vers. 6.2.3-25426 Update 3
Seagate Drives ST4000VN008-2DR166, 3.6TB HDD, Firmware Version SC60 (I have two of them in the DS 220+)

Again, I didn't mean to s*** all over your post, Just excited to be here and see this level of discourse.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.