Currently reading
Solved Cloud Station ShareSync

NAS
DS111, DS215j
Operating system
  1. Linux
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
For years, I have had my two NAS, in two different locations, sync their default shared folders against each other.

Some time ago, I think I saw a note that Cloud Station was to be replaced with something else, and I tried to migrate. In the end I was left with the impression that my precise need (full two-way sync for the three default folders music, photo and video) could actually not be achieved, so I decided to roll back.

I managed to do that for photo and video, but no longer for music. The source NAS is no longer offering that folder in its list of potentially synced folders.

So I have two questions:

1) How can that be, why can the two-sync not just continue to work as it did (and it seemed like an obvious request for me)?

2) If cloud station is set to disappear, how can any other way be found to do exactly this?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Welcome to the forum. A successor app is this:

Have a look and ask back if you need any more help.

And if you install Drive, it should 'replace' itself with Cloud Station and import all config and settings.
At least thats my experience. I installed Drive while I had Cloud Station apps running on my NAS devices for some time now and the process went quite smoothly.

With Synology Drive's collection of features you use Drive Admin and make Team Folders from the NAS's Shared Folders.

You can then use the Mac/PC Drive client to create sync tasks to the Team Folders and/or the user's /home/Drive folder (or better multiple tasks to sub-folders in here).

Also there's Drive ShareSync that will sync Team Folders between NAS ... but not user Home folders.

Thanks, but:
a) I tried this and it is the origin of the current mess - I do not think that Drive actually offers a clean two-way sync between the two NAS
b) I do not have the slightest interest for any Mac or Windows machine to interfere with my NAS. All I want is what I had: clean two-way syncing between two NAS and their default folders. Am I really the only person on the planet who wants this?

a) I tried this and it is the origin of the current mess - I do not think that Drive actually offers a clean two-way sync between the two NAS
Drive ShareSync is the replacement of Cloud Station ShareSync.

You could check the /music ownership, access permissions and privileges. They should probably be similar to /photo and /video.
b) I do not have the slightest interest for any Mac or Windows machine to interfere with my NAS.
Ok, I only mentioned it for completeness. Just ignore that I included it.
b)All I want is what I had: clean two-way syncing between two NAS and their default folders. Am I really the only person on the planet who wants this?
If it's working for some shared folders and not others then there must be a configuration issue somewhere: such as with the folder privileges or the package configuration.

Thanks, I tried to look in all possible ways at the ownership, access permissions etc, and have been unable to find the difference.

As for Drive, when I failed to transition into it, I tried to verify whether it actually permits the two-way sync, and I was unable to find this. It offers all sorts of functionalities, but seemingly not this one. I personally find it extremely useful, since I live in two places, to have the two NAS just silently exchange all their data over the internet...

Drive ShareSync seems to me to be more like the Mac/PC Drive client but just for Team folders. I don't remember when Team folders were added, Drive v2?

With ShareSync it does offer two-way sync and also whether to sync file privileges and metadata. To do privileges it does warn about having same (similar) IDs on both NAS ... haven't done it and don't remember the exact warning.

could it be that drive does not run on a DS111? I find no way to actually download it right now.

DS114 looks to be the oldest DS1xx supported.

I can still use DS cloud on iPhone with my Drive server so there must be some common underpinnings. Cloud Station ShareSync on a client NAS may still work with Drive on the server NAS, but may not too.

ShareSync certainly still works on my system, and I do not want to see it disappear. But I can't figure out how to re-activate the third shared folder on it.

I ended up finding a way to re-enable the shared folder on one of the two machines (since this is two-way, I can't really tell who is the server and who is the client). Let's hope synology lets me continue make good use of my old DS111 which works just fine (not anymore on its first disk, though).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.