Currently reading
Cloud Station to Synology Drive

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi all...I hope you are all safe and well.

I have a DS918+ using DSM 6. I use Cloud Station Server and Cloud Station Drive on my PCs. I also use DS Cloud on my phones. i am sure this has probably been discussed before and i have looked into this before but decided that Drive was not an improvement over CS. However, as most of you probably know, Synology with DSM 7 are forcing us to use the Drive software.... I think functionality is similar between the NAS and PCs (correct me if i am wrong), but Drive on the Android phones does not appear to be as good as DS Cloud (which was ok but does have issues). The reviews on the Play Store are awful. It appears that the sync features on the phone are all but gone.

Does anyone have any experiences of Drive when compared with Cloud Station? Is it as good.... i am still unsure about upgrading and will not be happy if it is effectively a downgrade!

Many thanks in anticipation and for your comments....

Matt

Synology Drive brought the file sync and data backup into a single client on Mac/PC. It also added 64 bit client support on Mac (which now doesn’t support 32 but apps).

The mobile client of Drive doesn’t sync a selected NAS folder to the phone. It gives access to the /home/Drive folder and any other Team folders (NAS shared folders enabled for Drive use). You can set how much cached data is on the phone (no idea how it actually selects what to cache) plus individual files can be selected for offline access.

The Mac and PC clients are pretty much as in Cloud Station except all in one client now. PC has also selective sync option but I don’t use it on PC so no idea exactly what difference this makes.

Synology with DSM 7 are forcing us to use the Drive software
Actually, Cloud Station is EOL/deprecated... even on v6 (and below).
i am still unsure about upgrading and will not be happy if it is effectively a downgrade!
If you use DS Cloud, you will lose that app when migrating to DSM7 (or updating Synology Drive Server to v3, on DSM6). Otherwise, I see no difference (I left CS long ago).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.