CMS over Tailscale for remote located NAS possible?

Currently reading
CMS over Tailscale for remote located NAS possible?

NAS
DS1621+, DS1621+, DS918
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
So I use CMS on my main nas, and I have my other local nas all connect to it for centralized notifications. I have a remote nas at another location, can I use Tailscale to connect it my main nas or is there a better way to accomplish this?

So I want the remote nas communicate with my local nas(es)

Should work why not.
Any clue how? I can install tailscale, which I have used to communicate with that remote nas, so tailscale is on the remote nas, and to login I have to login from home to see/access the remote nas, but I dont know how to make the 2 nas's talk to each thru tailscale?

CMS uses DSM ports for HTTP/S to access the remote NAS so I don't see why it shouldn't work via a VPN. Does Tailscale use a separate IP subnet for its endpoint server end and the connecting clients? If it does then you could try using the server IP rather than the remote NAS's normal IP.

I've not used Tailscale so I don't know how it manages IP addressing and routing.

🤷‍♂️ I dont know honestly. When I used tailscale, theres an app in the windows system tray and when connected my machine with tailscale enabled and logged on, basically acts like its part of the remote lan and no longer part of my local lan. so if tailscale is on, I no longer see my local nas's, only the remote nas, to see my local nas I have to logout (disable) tailscale. Maybe this wont do what I am thinking it will? I only want the remote nas to be able to communicate with my other local nas, but still have full local function at its location. The only reason I asked about tailscale is its literally zero setup... install the app and login, everything is automatic. Log out, and your right back to normal.

Tailscale is on 24/7 on 2 PCs, tablet, phone.... All have NAS access via local LAN and domain address.
Would you mind sharing your connect settings? I obviously have something wrong. When my tailscale is connected, my local network doesnt exist. Only my remote network is connected.

Would you mind sharing your connect settings?
Local Win PC client preferences
AFAIK, these were the defaults.

3UKvzPD.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.