Combining and migrate 2 Synology to new HDD’s

Currently reading
Combining and migrate 2 Synology to new HDD’s

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Hello everyone,
I hope someone can give me a clear step-by-step plan for the following. I now have Synology’s: a DS212J and a DS218+. In the DS212J there are 2 identical disks in RAID (clone), of which one disk is really starting to fail (critical status). Unfortunately, the single disk in the 218+ already contains a few bad sectors. Given the age of the discs, I get it.
I actually want to buy 2 new hard drives that will be put in the 218+ where all the data from the DS212J and the content of the drive will come from the 218+. (I want to sell the 212J) When I have received the two new disks, what is the most logical first step and what next? Who can give me a step-by-step plan so that the two new disks have all the data from both the 212J and the 218+ (in RAID)?
I hope I'm clear enough... Otherwise let me know!

Hello everyone,
I hope someone can give me a clear step-by-step plan for the following. I now have Synology’s: a DS212J and a DS218+. In the DS212J there are 2 identical disks in RAID (clone), of which one disk is really starting to fail (critical status). Unfortunately, the single disk in the 218+ already contains a few bad sectors. Given the age of the discs, I get it.
I actually want to buy 2 new hard drives that will be put in the 218+ where all the data from the DS212J and the content of the drive will come from the 218+. (I want to sell the 212J) When I have received the two new disks, what is the most logical first step and what next? Who can give me a step-by-step plan so that the two new disks have all the data from both the 212J and the 218+ (in RAID)?
I hope I'm clear enough... Otherwise let me know!
Start with adding one new drive to that spare bay on 218 as a new SHR volume.

Once that is done, transfer the data from the initial 218 disk (old).

When that is done, remove the drive to make room for the second new disk.

Add that disk as part of the new SHR volume to make a mirror setup. Let it expand and get adopted.

Once done, start moving data from 212j over network to the new 218 setup.

Start with adding one new drive to that spare bay on 218 as a new SHR volume.

Once that is done, transfer the data from the initial 218 disk (old).

When that is done, remove the drive to make room for the second new disk.

Add that disk as part of the new SHR volume to make a mirror setup. Let it expand and get adopted.

Once done, start moving data from 212j over network to the new 218 setup.
Thanks a lot!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.