Complete newbie - Help needed

Currently reading
Complete newbie - Help needed

I didn't even get 45 minutes out of it Coop (!)

I bought it about 8 years ago brand new and left it in its box. Word to the wise, Synology do not offer spares and do not repair anything, if it fails within the guarantee period they simply replace it (so they must be dirt cheap to manufacture) but when it fails outside the warranty you are stuffed. Built in obsolescence .. expensive units if the fail after 45 minutes (outside of warranty) or even after 3 years with warranty. Wish I had known beforehand and given the amount of blue light of death forum entries its not uncommon.

If you're handy with a screwdriver, I'd open it up, replace the cmos battery and try flashing it, "loading dsm." The most it will cost is about 5$ and 2 hours. Batteries in pc and other cmos devices last roughly 5 years from my experience.

No word of a lie I've had pretty much this exact issue about 3-4 weeks ago, was updating/resetting the device in preparation to dispatch on a eBay auction, rendered it as a brick pretty sure it's the bios. Just changed the battery and the thing beeped, blue light but status flashing orange.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.