Complete newbie - Help needed

Currently reading
Complete newbie - Help needed

Hmmm which begs the question why does Fing and Broadband App see it? Its a strange one
-- post merged: --

what would happen if i connect the ethernet from syno into PC? rather than switch. I assume if i download DSM 6.4 onto PC I could point syno to that as source of new DSM without need for internet on PC (ethernet port will be assigned to syno not internet)

Or will it be a waste of time, if not being seen via switch will PC see it with direct connection?

The BB app could simply be reading the router's DHCP table, or it could be detecting an electrical connection at the ethernet port but the port isn't repsonding to arps / pings etc because its config has been lost (eg dead CMOS)

what would happen if i connect the ethernet from syno into PC? rather than switch. I assume if i download DSM 6.4 onto PC I could point syno to that as source opf new DSM without need for internet on PC (ethernet port will be assigned to syno not internet)
This would eliminate the switch / router as an issue so maybe worth a try, though it is still dependent on the NAS having a valid IP on teh LAN (192.168.1.x) to be seen by the W7 machine.

Just connect the ethernet between the W7 machine & teh NAS and try the find.synology.com address again.

W7 is desktop (do not wifi) so when use ethernet I lose internet (i think there is only one port) syno assistant would be on hard drive though but not sure it would allow me to point to a downloaded file

would replacing battery fix it? how does mac address etc get onto new battery
The CMOS battery is a small watch-type battery that keeps basic information about teh NAS - like its name, the correct time, serial no. etc alive when the machine is powered off.
They last for years but eventually run out and need to be replaced, esp if the machine hasnt been powered on for years.

W7 is desktop (do not wifi) so when use ethernet I lose internet (i think there is only one port) syno assistant would be on hard drive though but not sure it would allow me to point to a downloaded file
Dont worry about downloading DSM at this stage - you're just trying to see if the NAS is reachable via a direct ethernet connection to another machine. Your W7 machine /browser doesn't need to be on the internet to check this.

Last edited:
as soon as new battery is installed is the data available on 212 for it to be used and detectable? Missing DSM does not affect that info?

And you have been awesome btw. Thank you ever so much. Will try the direct connection first thing tomorrow and then investigate CMOS battery option (which makes sense). The only other thing I would add though, is that there are LOADS of posts online about this issue on a 212. From years ago which suggests the battery might not be the issue. Trouble is no one ever posts the fix :-(

here is one such post - identical to mine

post ...

apart from that one saying it can be found but still offline

Attachments

• post.png
    post.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 10
Yep, those posts are leaning heavily towards 'hardware bug that was never resolved'.

Personally I'd take this as a sign that the time has come to blow some money on a shiny new DS220+...;)

Last edited:
Many thanks. Reason for for updating to latest DSM when first discovered loss of connection was a hope that patches fixed any of the 8 year old bugs.

By way of an update (I needed some sleep lol) I have connected the 212 directly to the PC and discovered it as an unidentified network. Troubleshooting seems to suggest no IP and no IPv4 or 6 connectivity albeit device is working correctly See grabs. Is there any way to resolve those issues?

Bit hesitant to splash the cash - Synology NAS should be 'plug and play and happily run all day' (that rhymed) but we have spent hours on this. So kinda losing faith in the brand !

grabs ...

Attachments

• PCSyn.png
    PCSyn.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 6
  • PCSyn2.png
    PCSyn2.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 6
Many thanks. By way of an update (I needed some sleep lol) I have connected the 212 directly to the PC and discovered it as an unidentified network. Troubleshooting seems to suggest no IP and no IPv4 or 6 connectivity albeit device is working correctly See grabs. Is there any way to resolve those issues?

Bit hesitant to splash the cash - Synology NAS should be 'plug and play and happily run all day' (that rhymed) but we have spent hours on this.

grabs ...
Use ipconfig command to detect the IP address of the device and connect to that IP address using the browser. It will probably be 169.x.x.x (APIPa) range.

212 has lost its IP address. I ran ipconfig but only desktop showed up and also ran Advanced IP Scanner and it doesn't find it (everything else on network but the 212). Can no IP address be fixed or is it hardware issue?

212 has lost its IP address. I ran ipconfig but only desktop showed up and also ran Advanced IP Scanner and it doesn't find it (everything else on network but the 212). Can no IP address be fixed or is it hardware issue?
Configure the network adapter in control panel and set it in a class of your choice (as well the subnet), and then try and connect to it.

Thank you. Network (ethernet cable now back in PC so no direct connection and back to normal network) is showing with a red X (grab) does 212 require IPv6? How is that enabled to get rid of the red X?

Attachments

• Network3.png
    Network3.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 6
Yes PC Network. I can access the web. NAS plugged in but does not show up. That is the problem I am trying to fix

Yes PC Network. I can access the web. NAS plugged in but does not show up. That is the problem I am trying to fix
How are the LED indicators on the back of the RJ45 connector as well as the router/switch you are connecting your NAS to? This was asked yesterday as well.

Do you have any activities? Can you detect the NAS using your router UI under a dhcp device pool?

Last edited:
LED flickers green at Ethernet port on back. So activity there.

Attached grab shows router sees the 212 but its greyed out (presumably because offline)

Had another thought about the 212 IP. finds.syno web app finds the IP as a syno but no other info available and when i click connect it times out as taking too long.

To all intent and purposes, 212 seems to be working fine other than cannot connect to it :-(

Edit : Cannot be sure router UI is actually seeing 212 curently. I disconnected the 212 ethernet from network (so isolated the 212) and refreshed the router UI but it still shows same so it might only be recording it as a legacy device (from yesterday)

Is there any way for my to load the DSM onto the 212 without using web assistant or desktop assistant?

Cannot help but thinking the issues might be because after hard reset (which wiped the DSM) i need to get a DSM back onto it by other means. I had some connectivity (even though it dropped) when I had DSM. Now nothing

Attachments

• Router.png
    Router.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 11

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.