Complete newbie - Help needed

Currently reading
Complete newbie - Help needed

The usual :-(

Attachments

• 5000 browser.png
    5000 browser.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 12
I never defined anything. I bought the unit about 8 years ago. Never used it apart from a quick trial at another house about 2 years ago (wasnt running long enough to notice any dropped connections). Then needed it this week so decided to set it up yesterday. Updated the DSM to latest when it lost connection. And then when it kept losing connection I did the hard reset. I assumed it was brand new when bought from amazon, still has factory seals on drive cover, ethernet and power cord all factory wrapped etc but i suppose someone could have tried it with a different power cord, ethernet cable etc. and altered the configuration? Installed WD Black drives that I bought brand new. Not a mark on the box or the 212. Absolutely factory perfect so still assume unused. Would the hard reset not wipe any user defined specs? Or can they be wiped as belt and braces?

Already done that and it will not let me do another. It must know there is no DSM so doesnt allow anything other than soft reset now

You would think there would be some kind of recovery software on usb?
-- post merged: --

yes same result, not found

it must be hardware, Fortran thought it could be the CMOS battery but no other symptoms. Blue light stable all drives working fine, LAN flashes and ethernet port flashes

Status currently flashing waiting for new DSM :-(

do you think it could be the battery Rusty? Just seen a video and its easy enough to remove and test/replace. Inexpensive fix if it solves it

Well I think that is the next logical step. Will keep you updated. Thanks for all your help Rusty. Much appreciated. The unit is perfect and too good to scrap. So hoping the battery works.

Update time ... installed new battery (old one had some incredibly light crusting on join at back so was failed/failing). When powered up blue light flashed (I thought it was goosed). Then read syno instructions and suggested remove all drives and disconnect from network and power up before waiting 3 mins ... syno beeped (confirming motherboard healthy) and blue light went stable. Then powered down and installed one drive at a time (and repeated waiting for beep and stable blue light each time). All drives healthy and motherboard healthy. Connected to LAN and fins. syno cannot find anything now. Connected direct to W7 - set IP address and it pinged to that address but would still not open when entered IP 5000 address in browser. Blooming annoying. The time I (and we) have spent on this is mind boggling. How can healthy motherboard, healthy drives, stable blue light and flashing LAN and ethernet NOT allow any connection?

Hate to say it....but this point your best move it to replace the NAS...

but to ask a very obvious question..what happens if you simply type the IP address into a browser window without the port?

Thanks Coop .. same thing happens 192.168.1.6 cannot be reached (taking too long) etc

Hate to admit it but looks like I will. Shame ... I cannot understand how everything (sum of parts) can appear to work but as a whole they don't. Seems like something minor. Removing battery has now lost the IP (the one thing detectable by finds. syno so its gone worse but better in some respects because I know some parts are fine. Its a strange one

Are Synology normally reliable? I dont want to go through this again.

Can I throw in my two cents even though I'm a newbie also. Have you tried the simplest thing. Get a cat cable you know is good. connect it directly to pc and the nas, see if Synology assistant finds it. in other words, bypass any switch or anything between the nas and pc.

He's connected the NAS directly to his Win 7 PC and can ping the NAS....just can't access DSM via browser, and he's in a catch 22 because he did a reset and now can't set it back up again..IMO not a cable issue.

Last edited:
Thanks Coop for the summary. Could it be a DHCP issue? Found a post that suggests something similar

Post title on syno community ... DS212j can't connect with no firewall and Ethernet hard line between them

I suppose I could install DSM using the original master disc? 212 is wiped ready for DSm so might be like a new 212 and when I autorun it might load a DSM onto the 212

Will try that .. just have to find the disc !

DHCP would possibly be an issue if both devices were connected to the router (I assume that your router is handling DHCP). But to my understanding you have disconnected both the NAS and PC from the router and connected them together directly. Please confirm.

Normal set up is W7 Camera and 212 wired to Cisco Switch and that connects to router LAN port

Alternative setup is only camera goes into Cisco (camera needs POE) and rest go direct to router LAN ports

Direct connection was only to bypass switch and router.

Not sure installation disc will work because quick set up suggests 212 is detectable once LAN cable attached and that is not the case so might not find 212 to install DSM

It's bricked ... Flashing blue light this morning. Found two other posts (below) which suggest the DSM upgrade could have caused the initial issues (should have left it with the factory installed DSM - but who does that? If new firmware with bug fixes is available you use it right?) OR the factory hard reset caused it. Seems to be the bios is corrupted and without Linux skills and reflashing the chip and resoldering its a paperweight.

Posts here

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.